Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • hmong quilting >
  • hmong quilting

• hmong quilting

Old 10-29-2011, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by SThao
    Don't feel too bad, a lot of people have not heard of us yet, and having you all appreciate the quilting is great! It allows for us to get to understand a certain group of people that we have no idea about. Quilts are bringing us together!! =D

By the way, the Grand Torino movie wasn't a good depiction of the Hmong people, but then again it's a "movie".
    I didn't learn anything from the movie, except who you were and the existence, but there was a documentary on TV after Grand Torino came out. I found "that" fascinating :) I wish I could remember the name of it, but my "over 40" memory is just that!

:lol:
    Old 10-29-2011, 03:01 AM

I found this article on the Amish quilts by the Hmong. The Amish had sponsored Hmong families to come to the US, that is how that got started.

This article is from the early 1990's, so it has been going on a long time.

Perhaps the sign on the quilt display reads "Amish Style" then it doesnt say who the maker is.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/199...sylvania-amish

Jean

Originally Posted by cabinqltr
    About 4 years we were visiting Lancaster, PA area , visiting quilt and fabric shop. While we were at one shop a van load of Hmong ladies came into the shop to deliver quilts to be sold. I was shocked by this because these quilts are sold as "Amish made quilts", I feel this is very dishonest to the customers. They do beautiful work,granted but they are not truly "Amish" quilts. These people do not get the big money--the stores do.
    Sorry I had to vent as I feel the tourists who go there for genuine "Amish" quilts and pay the big prices are being lied to. What is your opinion?
    Old 10-29-2011, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    I found two pillow covers like this:

I didn't know what they were when I found them at a thrift store over the summer, but I knew that someone had done meticulous work on them. I posted here and found out they were hmong quilting.
    The pink squares in the center are approx. 1/2". The pillow covers are about 14" square. They are like a pillow case with a zipper on the back.
    I bought about 5 quilt tops like that back in the 90's. They were about $100 each. I hand quilted some.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-278615.jpe  
    Old 10-29-2011, 05:58 AM

this is real pretty too. you are so lucky..wish we could see all of the stitches.