Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hoarder...Who Needs tv????? >
  • Hoarder...Who Needs tv?????

• Hoarder...Who Needs tv?????

Old 02-17-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Originally Posted by yolanda
    Do you mind if I show my son and boyfriend these photos? Then my mess won't look so bad ;-)
    Not at all. I am sure others have shared them too.

In all fairness, it has not always been like this. It was a full organized room until I decided to de-stash. I have more than I will ever use and decided to de-stash. I used to have a library room and kept every book I bought. Then I realized I would never read them all again, so even though I collected by authurs and such, I took them to senior centers, nursing homes, traded them in at otherbook stores anddonated them all over. Now I read what I want and pass them on... I have a small nook at the end of my hall, on teh first picture there is a rocking chair all the way at the end. There is one book shelf and that is my reading nook. Those are books I still need to read and after, off they go. If they dont' fit on that shelf, I send them off. So I know there is hope for me on my sewing room.
    How do I get so much??? I get them from friends who parent has passed, friends who clean out their rooms, etc. And I teach at a Senior Circle for elderly ladies and they send me boxes. I went to my book review last week and she told me she had boxes left for me by other members and I came home with a trunk full. Can't say no..... I just think of who could use it. I send the children's fabrics to Project Linus and I keep the quilters fabric for moi......It's all a vicious cycle. I'm not complaining. They went through so much to send me a box, it would be rude to decline it. Just saying......
    :roll:
    Monday at guild, I have the lady who teaches at the LQS giving me 5 boxes of fabric because she won't use it since it is walmart fabrics. Bring it on. I will pick it up and put it in the hallway. Once I get organized, there are other members who do charity quilting, and for postage, I will forward a box to them. It's all good. Please don't send pm's yet.. I am already getting those. LOL. I will post under the proper Gieaway/donations.
    Now you know more of how and why I am in this predicament. My intentions are so good.
    Don't feel bad every part of your post was filled with good intentions and good deeds.Just get a bunch of clear plastic bins and start putting all the fabrics of the same colors in each bin. Then do the same with patterns. In no time at all you'll be done! But don't look at the whole thing and get discouraged. Start at the doorway and work your way in,then if you still get discouraged,log on here to get some internet encouragement and pats on the back. My personal suggestion is to crank the music up and sing and dance your way through it. I can't sing or dance worth a lick but then nobody's watching so it's OK.
    Old 02-17-2011, 02:01 PM

Just have an open house to quilters, open the doors and let help you unload. I know you need all of it, but it is not manageable the way it is.
    I am not talking from prefection here. my sewing room counters are full, but the aisles are clear and I can still see and use my machines.
    How can we help you?
    Old 02-17-2011, 02:21 PM

How funny, when I looked at the pics I didn't even think about messy rooms, I thought, how wonderful to have so many great things! My stash is still very puny, and I'm jealous!

I know you said the room is only like this because of recent activities, but some creative people just don't do as well when everything is straight lines and closed boxes. When I'm planning a quilting project I'd much rather have things in heaps on the floor around me than in neat little stacks on a shelf.

That said, when I work (software testing) I only like straight lines and, frankly, white walls. Everything has to be in its place. Go figure.

Just wanted to point out that sometimes there is real method to what others may perceive as madness. ;)
    Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 PM

I think we should all make a trip and go to Debbie's house. I bet we could all fined some really great stuff. :-)
    We all love you Debbie.
    Old 02-17-2011, 02:35 PM

I feel much better now about my stash. LOL
    Old 02-17-2011, 02:44 PM

Debbie, you can get it done! Don't let it overwhelm you and get you down, I know you'll be fine!

If DH, baby and I get to TX anytime soon, I'll gladly help you out.
    Old 02-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by marymay
    I think we should all make a trip and go to Debbie's house. I bet we could all fined some really great stuff. :-)
    We all love you Debbie.
    I can feel it. LOL. I am going to watch Peter on Oprah first. Maybe that will inspire me. LOL.
    Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 PM

You could be on TV!
    Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 PM

Debbie, with all that you do for others, and all that you have been through in your life, this is just a brief period of chaos, which will end. If you need some help, hire someone - you can tell them what to do! My house is chaotic too at the moment, but I know that I will get it organised soon, I am having a time of chaos. Times of chaos are different to hoarding! That is my mantra - you may use it.
    Rain xxx
    Old 02-17-2011, 04:15 PM

ROFLMBO because it all looks too familiar! But its an entirely different story than yours. Can you trust someone else cleaning and organizing? After all said and done I think I see potential frustration in trying to find something that someone else has put away and wouldn't have a clue.