Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hoarder...Who Needs tv????? >
  • Hoarder...Who Needs tv?????

• Hoarder...Who Needs tv?????

Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 PM

Did you ever think maybe you were adopted or had a twin sister that was given away at birth? Could you and I be related?
    Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    Debbie,
    I love your rooms and your attitude. I, too, have had brain surgery and things can overwhelm me at times. Especially clutter.

This week my DH decided to organize my sewing room as it overfloweth with fabric, etc. Out came the quilting frame. Right now, everything is on the west side of the room. In huge stacks, as tall as my head. He just added a work table on the east wall, and a chest of drawers on the north wall. He is hanging pegboard on the closet door, which is located on the south wall. The room is 8 x 10.

I will post pix as soon as I can borrow a camera.
    Your hubby has the right idea! Maybe this idea will help?
    I went to wallmart a long time ago and bought 24 plastic file boxes, I also got 6 platforms approximately the size of the bottoms of the crates and put 4 wheels on each of them (like a plant stand) and fastened them to the bottom of six crates. I sorted the fabrics into colors and folded them into the crates, and stacked them 4 high. They hold an amazing amount of fabric and do not take up much floor space...along a wall or in a corner. Actually I am lucky because they all fit into a largish closet...just wheel the stacks around in and out. My room is about the same size as yours.
    I can find absolutely any piece of fabric in less than five minutes!
    I put all the notions together,and all the many many spools of thread in a chest of drawers.
    (I wish I had a pegboard to hang my rulers on)
    Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    WOW!! :shock: I don't think I saw your sewing machine! I know that you make all kinds of beautiful quilts!
    Do I have your blessing to show these pics to my hubby? He is always complaining about my lack of organization! :oops:
    Feel free. ANd go ahead.....a good laugh is probably a good thing. I don't mind.

I started collecting years ago, fabricoholic, spender, etc. I liked She who dies with the most fabric wins, but then I decided to share and this is what happened. It comes apart easier that it goes back together.

Under all that is a sewing table, a cutting table, ironing table, shelves on every wall, empty right now...... This makes me feel so helpless. I have people who have come over to take lots of stash and boxes full, but they did not help. SO no more visitors. My hubby shakes his head. And until it is done, I am so stressed because of it. I used to go in and sew all day, everything had a place, I loved my room. grrrrrrrrrrrr
    I can relate. My sewing room doesn't look quite like that right now, but it could if I didn't constantly keep cleaning and organizing.
    It gets frustrating when the stuff that you love becomes the stuff that haunts you.
    People that have big houses and big sewing rooms think it's either funny or sad. It's neither.
    It's a lotta work waiting and we just wanna sew...that's all.
    We have so much stuff, you move ten to find two...
    I am really organized, but it doesn't matter if I just stacked a pile of something in front of 'right where it is'!
    Let's go get lunch and have some laughs Debbie. Life is too short to worry about it. It will get back in the tubs and on the shelves a piece at a time...till then...woo hoo...looks like somebody partied!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by DianaSwi
    I am looking for 5 yds of purple..med or darker..anything lurking?
    Diana
    Tranquil Quilting
    Plain? tone on tone prints? royal jewel tones or dusty? Floral? med or large prints?
    Jeannie
    Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Wish I was close...I'd help you out!
    Old 02-17-2011, 07:01 PM

You know, I think as long as there is space, we will fill. Same with a purse. Have you noticed if you limit yourself with a smaller purse then you aren't as weighted down but the bigger the purse, the greater the fill! I can feel my shoulder hurting just thinking about it. Same with fabric.....I am filled to the gills in my room where I sew and I have cut down on trips to LQS and JoAnns and the others. One night the girl that checked me out at JoAnn's said "I haven't seen you for awhile" and I replied "I have staying home and been sewing up on the fabric I have been scooping up over here."
    Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 PM

I can hear a quilt whimpering from the bottom of the pile. lol! Just start at one side of the door, and work your way around the room. Decide where things will live before you start. You can do it!!!!! :thumbup:
    Old 02-17-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    I can hear a quilt whimpering from the bottom of the pile. lol! Just start at one side of the door, and work your way around the room. Decide where things will live before you start. You can do it!!!!! :thumbup:
    I agree. I think you will come out of this just fine.
    Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM

rofl... omg its my sewing area!!! Just when did you come to my house n get those pictures... lol... tooo dang funny... yes ladies.. i do do my sewing in a different room... my dh helps me... but I'm trying to get stuff origanized tooo... lol gosh it is so nice to see that its not just me... rofl

hugssssssss girls
    Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 PM

wow... ummmm will you come do mine.. what a great idea.. but i just don't even have the time to do this... grrrr.. lol