Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores? >
  • Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

• Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 AM

I love home made gifts as long as I don't make them. I have no talent but do love to make things just not worthy to give away. So yes I love it when I get a HM gift.

Rita
    Old 12-07-2010, 06:26 AM

I hope my gifts are appreciated as there are many hours spent on making them -- some of them are not to be found in stores, but I know what you mean -- quilts of all sizes for $29, blankets, totes -- I used to make some of my clothes till I discovered sales at Macy's and Dillards with things of better quality and fit than mine -- I am looking forward to family gift exchange to see how my decorated totes with things in them will be received
    Old 12-07-2010, 06:29 AM

AND IT IS MADE IN THE USA (or country of your abode) which is nice too.

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    back in the early 70's quilting really died off ... all sewing did, making clothes was no longer cost effective. patterns and fabric prices sky-rocketed and large department stores started popping up everywhere, we became (lazy) and my thoughts were...why should i put 10 hours into making my little girl this sundress, (and $10) when i can go to k-mart and buy it for $4...
    as the 70's-80's moved on people began to realize that maybe sewing isn't a lost art...we can make items much better; better workmanship, better materials, higher quality finished item than any we can buy already made. and you do not have to 'settle' with those colors, or 'that' design, you can make it YOU! and the absolute best way to have clothes that actually fit-you...make your own...worth every cent.
    Old 12-07-2010, 06:38 AM

We make our things with love. It is how it makes me feel when I make a hand made gift for someone. I do it for me :lol:
    Just do it for you if it makes you feel good :thumbup:
    Old 12-07-2010, 06:44 AM

I love receiving and giving hand made gifts.

That doesn't mean I don't buy department store items for myself! I can't make place-mats for $1.99 each!
    Old 12-07-2010, 06:55 AM

Handmade gifts are more special and better made than store bought. When I am making something for a member of my family, I think of them all the time I creating. Since we don't see our family real often, it brings me closer to them.
    Old 12-07-2010, 07:00 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I have seen some pretty nice throws or bed-size quilts for so little money. There is one catalog I received that the quilts were around $100 (and we all know how much it costs in time and $ to make them ourselves)and they were gorgeous! At times, though, I do have to remind myself how much I do love quilting and what wonderful therapy it truly is or else I would just scream... plus I am hoping I am making something that may last for a few generations to come. ;)
    Old 12-07-2010, 07:01 AM

I love the way you think! I think I should print out your response and frame it to hang in my sewing room!!! :thumbup:
    Old 12-07-2010, 07:10 AM

It may not be cost effective but the quality is certainly better. With nearly everything being made in China or some other country now it's no wonder the quality is lacking.
    Old 12-07-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    I will admit sewing/quilting is getting to be expensive. I got to thinking instead of making it myself just buy it instead. But all of that thinking went out the window when I went to visit my nephew and his family.

I had made quilts for the two great nieces and one quilt for nephew and wife's bed.

As I was visiting some friends had come over. Yvonne, niece in law, was showing friends the house. "What a gorgeous bedspread!" My niece replied, "My Aunt Debbie made that for us. Come let me show you everything she has made for the family. My Aunt Debbie is so amazing!" I had tears in my eyes because of all the pride she had in her voice. I know it was genuine because she had no idea I was anywhere close enough to hear her.

Later, during the visit, we had all went to the dragstrip. My nephew and brother (his dad) built a racecar together. My brother is small in stature. Since he is the "pitboss" he has to carry several things with him. Once he gets everything together he suffers from "plumbers pants". I made a special vest for all his stuff. On the back of the vest I embroidered PIT BOSS and an outline of their car. At the strip, my brother put on his vest, got it all loaded up. During the races, I saw my brother talking to someone and showing them all the features of the vest. Then they came over to where I was setting. My brother put his arm around my shoulders and said, "This is my sister, the brains behind the vest." The man shook my hand and said, "I would love to have someone like you in my family." My brother said, "Nope, God only made one and I was the lucky one to get her!"

Needless to say, now I make everything I can, and try to figure out how to make the things I can't.
    This is so touching my eyes teared up.....I hope my family feels just half that good about my creations.