Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores? >
  • Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

• Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    I will admit sewing/quilting is getting to be expensive. I got to thinking instead of making it myself just buy it instead. But all of that thinking went out the window when I went to visit my nephew and his family.

I had made quilts for the two great nieces and one quilt for nephew and wife's bed.

As I was visiting some friends had come over. Yvonne, niece in law, was showing friends the house. "What a gorgeous bedspread!" My niece replied, "My Aunt Debbie made that for us. Come let me show you everything she has made for the family. My Aunt Debbie is so amazing!" I had tears in my eyes because of all the pride she had in her voice. I know it was genuine because she had no idea I was anywhere close enough to hear her.

Later, during the visit, we had all went to the dragstrip. My nephew and brother (his dad) built a racecar together. My brother is small in stature. Since he is the "pitboss" he has to carry several things with him. Once he gets everything together he suffers from "plumbers pants". I made a special vest for all his stuff. On the back of the vest I embroidered PIT BOSS and an outline of their car. At the strip, my brother put on his vest, got it all loaded up. During the races, I saw my brother talking to someone and showing them all the features of the vest. Then they came over to where I was setting. My brother put his arm around my shoulders and said, "This is my sister, the brains behind the vest." The man shook my hand and said, "I would love to have someone like you in my family." My brother said, "Nope, God only made one and I was the lucky one to get her!"

Needless to say, now I make everything I can, and try to figure out how to make the things I can't.
    That is so sweet! I would just be happy if they would use the stuff I make! My nephews use what I make them. I'm giving it one more shot this xmas! I'm making quilts for my bros family. If I find out that they are not being used I am going to take them back and selling them or giving them to charity!
    Old 12-07-2010, 02:21 PM

While making items by hand is no longer cost effective, it is a respectful way to relate to others. Mass production is far removed from ordinary living. An item made by someone you know, or whose skills you admire, is a connection to a person. It's more interesting than just a blanket, doll or dress.

If it's made by someone you love, you'll attach a little of that to the item. As long as you're not a hoarder, this is healthy. It's a form of communication. "I appreciate you so I made this just for you." "And, I appreciate you so I will cherish it." If we were chimps, we'd be pulling bugs off of each other and sharing yummies.

One person gets to enjoy the creation and the other enjoys the results. It's kind of wonderful.
    Old 12-07-2010, 05:15 PM

I thought perhaps I am wasting my time, although everyone seems to be appreciative when they receive these gifts. The cost of the machines, thread, material, tools and my time are not cheap.
    ------------------------------
    Have you estimated the cost of counseling for stress? Shrinks cost a lot. Sewing is so soothing that most people take it up to relieve stress, and think the pleasure they get from sewing counts a lot more than they could ever guess.

What would you be doing if you weren't sewing? Watching mindless TV shows? (You can tell I don't have TV cable now)
    Getting cranky with DH and kids? Eating snacks continuously?

Sewing keeps my hands busy a long time and my mind occupied with color and pattern and size and who gets this and who would want that and...and...maybe I could make that but change the pattern in this spot and...
    Old 12-07-2010, 05:15 PM

I don't care how much it cost I love homemade anything. It's the love and thought that counts for me. I love making homemade my mother once told me I was born in the wrong time. I still make homemade noodles and love to cook.
    Old 12-07-2010, 05:32 PM

You can buy 'pretty', but you can't buy 'pretty made with love'! It's not about cheaper, it's about loving enough to work so hard to show it.
    Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 PM

I love to make gifts, compared to the ones in the store, they are worth much more because in addition to the material, they also have your love, care in making it and your talent. To me nothing compares to a homemade gift, especially quilts. Also the receipient feels special because you took the time,love and effort to do this for them.

If you enjoy doing it, that has no price.
    Old 12-07-2010, 06:11 PM

you cannot put a price on "made with love"
    Old 12-07-2010, 06:26 PM

I personally love to receive homemade gifts. At least I think the person making it had thought of me during the time of the making so that makes it special.
    Old 12-07-2010, 07:12 PM

I am a newbie widow and sewing, which I have not done for years and years but learned in my youth from my mom, is a way for me to connect with the ones I love and cherish. My granddaughter(6) was explaining to my daughter how Grandma is going to teach her to sew next time she comes. She has a fabric collection and knows where each piece came from and has lots of ideas on what could be done with it. I can see that much joy and family unity can come from this craft and I do it for that reason. To me it is worth every penny!
    Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 PM

People treasure our work because it is filled with many hours of love. They don't throw them away and they are comforted by the love in the quilt as long as they have it. Yes, it is expensive some times, but would you want to share cheap memories. No, just take your time and make fewer a year. It will be well worth it.