Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Homespuns? >
  • Homespuns?

• Homespuns?

Old 05-16-2018, 04:31 AM

Default Homespuns?

There recently was a beautiful quilt done in browns and earth tones using the disappearing 4 patch design with a piano key border. Loved it! I have a supply of homespun fabrics that would look good in that but I question using homespun in a quilt because it is loosely woven. Does anyone have experience or comments?
    Old 05-16-2018, 07:29 AM

I haven't made anything with home spuns but I have sewed almost all my life. When I am quilting and I accidentally choose a loosely woven fabric, I either cut extra for the seam (think 3/8" seam) or I sew every seam with a full quarter inch and then do a wavy second seam from 1/8 to the 1/4 inch sewing line. I've most often done the second way because I didn't realize I was going to have a problem until I started sewing and the material started raveling. If you are thinking about doing the extra size seam, I would make a test D4P with larger squares than you normally would and see if it works out. Or you could take colored paper and do the same thing without wasting any fabric.

I am looking forward to seeing your project.

Edited to add: We used to use pinking shears to help with the raveling, but I find that pinked edge so confusing when trying to decide where I am supposed to be sewing. "grin"

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 05-16-2018 at 07:31 AM.
    Old 05-16-2018, 11:16 AM
    bj

I’ve made a couple of rag quilts with homespun fabric. It makes great rag quilts. I’ve never used it in a pieced quilt though. I think the precautions mentioned before of larger seams or double stitching might solve issues with raveling. IDK. Good luck with it. Let us know how it works out ;0)
    Old 05-16-2018, 11:48 AM
    Power Poster

I have some homespun in two quilts I made. It has held up as well or better than the "regular" quilting fabrics in them.
    Old 05-16-2018, 08:34 PM

When I made this quilt, which is all homespun fabrics except for the solid red, white and black in the sashing and pieced strips, I found that starch was an even better friend than I had realized before. Actually, I used Magic Sizing, but it works the same as starch. I didn't increase the seam allowances but did use a smaller stitch than usual.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594532[/ATTACH]

Daffy
    Attached Thumbnails navajocodetalkers2.jpg  
    Old 05-17-2018, 06:53 AM

Default Homespuns

Can you direct me to a pattern for homespun rag quilts? I had one saved on my computer...I lost the pattern when my computer died.

Originally Posted by bj
    I’ve made a couple of rag quilts with homespun fabric. It makes great rag quilts. I’ve never used it in a pieced quilt though. I think the precautions mentioned before of larger seams or double stitching might solve issues with raveling. IDK. Good luck with it. Let us know how it works out ;0)
    Old 05-17-2018, 03:30 PM

Daffy Daphne, what a pretty quilt! I love the southwest style quilts. This one is also a great guy quilt. Is there a pattern name for this quilt? What size are your blocks? I'm guessing about 15 inches. Am I close? I typically use a 2.0 stitch for my piecing, with exception of paper piecing when I use a 1.6. Do you remember what size worked for you best?

Edited to add: I never thought about the starch stiffening the fabric so that it would hold together better and not start the fraying process. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 05-17-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    Old 05-17-2018, 05:32 PM

Made a rag quilt . first time I washed it, took to laundry mat. Thanks goodness i did. there was a basket full of threads and when I dried them it was a mess. Sure hope it didn't ruin the washer. never again. but with regular quilts It is fine.
    Old 05-17-2018, 05:32 PM

Daphne, I found the pattern. I am still interested in what stitch number you used. I am thinking a 1.8 would be tight enough.
    Old 05-17-2018, 05:36 PM

did one, used lots of starch and little bit smaller stitch lenght