Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Be Honest With Yourself (& Us)-Where Do You Actually Purchase Your Fabric? >
  • Be Honest With Yourself (& Us)-Where Do You Actually Purchase Your Fabric?

• Be Honest With Yourself (& Us)-Where Do You Actually Purchase Your Fabric?

Old 11-19-2017, 07:52 AM
    Power Poster

JJ Blaine, I love stories like these.
    Let's face it ladies and gents, quilting is a multi-faceted hobby.
    I don't stress after the gifting, but I do try to match the gift to the personality.
    Other than that, I try to have fun.
    Old 11-19-2017, 08:22 AM

There are no Joanns, no Hobby Lobbys and no 'fabric in Walmart' here in my neck of the woods. I shop at the LQS, especially when I have a coupon or there is a 25% off sale. That doesn't happen too often.

I have built up my stash by visiting quilt shops wherever we travel. I LOVE Faye's Henhouse in North Dakota. I have found many lovely shops in Indiana while visiting a friend who lives just out side of Fort Wayne. I also found some neat quilt shops and fabric stores while cruising around the Hawaiian Islands. Hub and I stayed in Nashville en route to Florida and we did NOT take in any shows, but we did visit quilt shops!

It's so much fun to shop in a new place where there is 'different stuff' even though our Canadian dollar doesn't convert well to the US $.

I don't shop on line much anymore. But I like Connecting Threads, Hawthorne Threads and fabric.com.
    Old 11-19-2017, 06:58 PM

We have 3 LSQ in our rural county and I try to shop at all, although I LAQ some samples for one so purchase more there or we trade. I also purchase online from eQuilter, Quilt Fabric Closeouts, Fabric Fanatics, MSQC, Connecting Threads, I'll also purchase from our local Walmart and a nearby city JoAnn's. Wish Hancocks was still around!
    Old 11-19-2017, 08:01 PM

You are a lucky lady nstitches.

A road trip to MSQC is one of the few things on my bucket list. I have checked and it is about a 30 hour drive from my home. Yes, I would drive, I love a good road trip. I would try to go for one of their retreats, plus make many stops along the way. Is there a quilters atlas of North America?

Maybe in 2019 when I graduate from university. It will depend though I may be breeding my dog in 2019, if I do I will have to stay close to home.
    Old 11-20-2017, 03:35 AM
    Power Poster

I purchase from my local quilt shop, other quilt shops when visiting and on line shops. I’ve not had very good luck with the ( big box stores—ie: Joanne’s, hobby lobby, Walmart etc.)
    so I avoid them .
    Old 11-20-2017, 07:16 AM
    Power Poster

I've gotten a lot of lovely fabric online, but sometimes I waste money bc the scale
    and the color are not what was expected.
    I do wish ALL good fabric stores online, would help the customer and put the ruler
    on the pictures.
    They'd get a lot more business!!!
    (We are on a fixed income now and I have loaded up a cart and clicked out at the
    end, and RAN away from the site, knowing I can't afford to lose on that much
    yardage. "Caveat Emptor"...buyer beware)
    Old 11-20-2017, 01:33 PM

I buy from JAF mainly, when I can make a trip to the US.

I also buy from Fabricland when they have their 40% off sale and I always buy something from our LQS's when I am nearby.

I'm really torn because, while I would love to support our local stores more, I can't afford to pay $26.00 a metre for batiks and $18.00 a metre (plus tax) for cottons here. So, I feel guilty that I buy in the States, but the option is not to buy what I want/need for my hobby.

As to what I use in each quilt, I use whatever the quilt calls for. In most of my quilts I have a mix of both really "nice" fabric and maybe some lower end stuff that I liked the look of.

Watson
    Old 11-20-2017, 07:39 PM

I really dislike shopping, so most of mine is done online. Marshall Dry Goods is my go-to online store--I often buy from their wholesale side. I have a friend who sells on Facebook, so I get some there as well. I have a big stash (in a small house!), so I rarely buy much anymore.
    Old 11-21-2017, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by newBe
    I just pur based some beautiful precuts from Tuesday Morning. Original price was about $22 and the Tuesday Morning price was $6.99!

I have a large stash and rarely finish a project. Is there a special word used to identify such a "quilter"? I prefer not to be called a fabricholic or hoarder of fabric, but am sure there are others like me and wonder if already is a different term used to identify us. If not, any suggestions?
    A quilting dabbler? You dabble in quilting? That was my favorite badge in Girl Scouts, once upon a time. I got to try all kinds of art techniques. Loved it. Currently, I am working hard to graduate from the ranks of dabbler to finisher.
    Old 11-21-2017, 03:42 AM

The vast majority of my stash is from local quilt shops, I found that my older Joann's fabrics were too thin and stiff to work well, so I donated those fabrics and never went back. Now that money is tighter, I shop from my stash! About the only thing I buy is a blender fabric to go with whatever i already have