Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Honey.....Why do my good scissors smell like onions?? >
  • Honey.....Why do my good scissors smell like onions??

• Honey.....Why do my good scissors smell like onions??

Old 02-15-2011, 04:16 PM

Once DH and DS used my rotary cutter to cut some sticky carpet for the car. They gave it back to me covered in black sticky stuff. I was so mad- I told them to at least put in a new blade! They did and it was OK. I guess they thought the rotary cutter was very slick.
    Old 02-15-2011, 04:17 PM

I always leave a pair of "decoy" scissors out.... Seems that the kitchen shears and the craft shears are not nearly as attractive as the pair sitting on my sewing table. The decoys have worked....tho, I did have to continue to mildly scold to keep the secret. :)
    Old 02-15-2011, 04:30 PM
    Power Poster

Busted Pat once cutting a new leather pouch with my good Ginghers. (Hacking away at it was more like it.) NOT A GOOD MOMENT! He didn't understand until I asked him how he would feel if I used his good screwdrivers to chisel some grout? His eyes got wide. Now he refers to my goodies as "my sewing tools." THOSE ARE GOOD MOMENTS.
    Old 02-15-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
    I found scissors on sale one time for $1.59 (of course not good ones) but I bought 10 pairs and left them in strategic locations throughout the house. Then informed my DH that any scissors in my sewing room are OFF LIMITS and touching them could lead to his immediate demise!

Also heard Fons and Porter give a talk one time where they suggested putting a padlock through the handles!
    Great idea!!! :D :D :D
    Old 02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
    sap

under penality of death my family kneew better than touch my sewing scissors. make them replace the scissors with a new pair of ginger's
    Old 02-15-2011, 04:41 PM

My family has been threatened with their life if they touch my sewing scissors. I make sure there are plenty of other "paper" scissors for them to use.
    Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM

Ever since I bought my first precious pair of Ginghers the rule was "mess with my quilt scissors, buy me new ones". Everyone used to laugh about it until one day my teenaged dgtr cut her wet hair with MY scissors and then put them away still wet. She had to pay for the new scissors. Since then nobody laughs at me about my scissor fetish or messes with my scissors.
    Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 PM

You know when I was a kid. I would always use my Mom's good G scissors on paper and could never understand why she got mad.. NOW I know.. I put a ribbon on mine and they know not to use them.. lol
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 PM

Oh DH knows better to never use my scissors for anything other then cloth and I am so lucky. We have so many pairs of scissors around this house. We even have fiskars spring loaded int he workshop and garage. I get nervous and say at times OH NO and he says no that is my pair. and I Am like WHEW. He is big into carpentry and I am into needle arts so we both understand how important it is.
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by hannajo
    I just have to take advantage of DH's "cheapskateness." I just tell him how much everything costs. He would never touch my $12 dollar fabric scissors because he couldn't bare to replace such an expensive item. Also, after he got over the shock of how much my rotary cutting board cost, he pretty much is afraid to even touch it now out of fear of warping it.

I agree with the others who say there just needs to be lots of scissors around to avoid the temptation of using our sewing scissors.
    I have a pair of applique scissors that were $25. However I did buy them with a 50% off coupon. Hubby was astounded at the original cost.