Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hope chest for DSs >
  • Hope chest for DSs

• Hope chest for DSs

Old 12-15-2012, 05:26 AM

Default Hope chest for DSs

Had a Ahh Haahhh moment at work. Don't think I'm being morbid here BUT I have made my sons quilts but that's it. Have made lots of seasonal stuff...most that I've given away. So decided to start making two of lots of things and start a hope chest for my boys! That way if they ever get married they can say..wait...I have a...whatever...that Mom made. Let's put it up.

Oh darn and I have to go to work, yet again.
    Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 AM

Thats a wonderful idea. I bet someday his "someone special" will really appreciate it, not to mention your sons. Girls have hope chests, they will have treasure chests.
    Old 12-15-2012, 06:21 AM

That is a great plan. I have started Hope Chests for my 6 grandchildren. They each have a Christmas tree skirt, table cloths, table toppers, oven mitts & microwave bowls so far. Just don't know if I will still be here when they set up their own homes nut they will have things I made just for them. I am currently making each of them a Christmas lap quilt.
    Old 12-15-2012, 06:25 AM

It is a great idea. I've received my Lane hope chest over 35 yrs ago. I didn't end up marrying the boy that gave it to me. God had someone even better in store for me. Anyway after my three children were attending school I decided to start making crib size quilts for their future children. I made about six of them and I never regretted it. Two are still in the hope chest but the others have been loved and a few still being used by my 9 and 5 yr. old grandchildren to this day.
    Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 AM
    Power Poster

terrific idea. the items will be treasured, for sure
    Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 AM

Great idea! Boys need things for their future home, too.
    Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 AM
    Power Poster

what's the 'morbid' part of your post?
    my brothers (in their 50's) all collected items just like us girls for when they left home- i was kind of raised to believe that's normal- everyone needs some basics for when they leave home, go to college or just get their own place...guys should also know how to cook, clean, do laundry, and basic mending--just part of life skills everyone should have...when you wrote (Morbid) i thought maybe you were making casket covers or something like that....
    Old 12-15-2012, 09:53 AM

That's a great idea. I think I will start a treasure chest for my DGS!
    Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 AM

I found it incredibly fun to make quilts for my grown children, each aimed at that particular child. I have a friend who has made baby quilts, one for each of her very young grand children (ages about 6 to18) so that each great grand child will have a quilt from her in their family, whether she still alive or not. Hmmm My one son who never thought about wanting children is absolutely ga ga over his two daughters, while another son who always wanted children will not be having any. For this reason I would stick with bed, lap, holiday table runners.... I've met too many wanna be grandparents who have children with other ideas, or who simply cannot produce. It can come across as pushy, and even painful, when all you mean is to celebrate the continuation of the family. I hope this doesn't upset anyone, it's just my own opinion and experience.
    Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 PM

I think this is a wonderful idea. The future Mrs. Right may not have a quilter in her family who handed heirlooms down. And even if your son(s) never marry or have children of their own, I think it would be very special to them to have something handmade from you. And they don't necessarily need to be bed quilts. After all, what are the chances a quilt you make today is going to match their future decor choices anyway. It's the fact that it came from Mom that makes it special. My mom was given a set of china that once belonged to my dad's mother. It's rather garish IMHO, but the bright green does look kind of pretty with Christmas decorations so it gets used anyway, and we remember Grandma every time we see it. I personally love using things that came down through the family, especially the things they made with their own hands.