Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hoping someone can help with block >
  • Hoping someone can help with block

• Hoping someone can help with block

Old 05-07-2013, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Here are the components of your block. Add background strips on top and bottom after piecing to make it the desired size square or rectangle.

Jan in VA
    Awesome diagram. What program did you use to create this? I have a quilting graph-it tablet that I use to sketch out block diagrams that I like so that I don't have to remember where I found something. If I could figure out a way to "sketch" designs on my computer and add color, that would be awesome.

I do have the quilt wizard program, but don't find it very useful to create my own blocks.

Thanks for posting!
    Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by PlanoDebbie
    Awesome diagram. What program did you use to create this? Thanks for posting!
    I use the Paint application/program that came with the laptop. Takes a bit of a learning curve as it's not specifically designed for quilt designs and doesn't have a grid of a size that's very helpful for most of us. But I've used it long enough now that it's easy for me.
    Thank you for the comments.

Jan in VA
    Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Thank you, Jan. This is what I saw in my head, but did not think about actually drawing it out. This seems like the simplest way, to me, because the dimensions make it all match up.
    Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 AM

I wouldn't paper piece that block, because it's easy to piece. In the photo, the large sail is a half square triangle. The small sail is also a half square triangle, with a white rectangle above it. The bottom of the boat is a rectangle with a square sewn over each corner on the diagonal, point to point, then the unneeded triangles are cut off of it. The entire block is made of 3 simply pieced sections (2 sails and boat bottom) plus one lonely white rectangle. Since you have already drawn it out on graph paper, just make sure you have the seam lines on there, assign a size to each square unit on the graph paper to end up with the desired block size.
    Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 AM

Awesome diagram. What program did you use to create this?
    By the way, Debbie, I once owned a quilt store in Plano named Silver Threads; are you familiar with it? Closed it in 2001 and I moved to Virginia, then TX for a while.
    Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 PM

By the way, Debbie, I once owned a quilt store in Plano named Silver Threads; are you familiar with it? Closed it in 2001 and I moved to Virginia, then TX for a while.
    That sounds vaguely familiar to me. Where was it located? I live on the North end of Plano near Legacy and Red River.

Such a small word, huh?
    Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 PM

That sounds vaguely familiar to me. Where was it located? I live on the North end of Plano near Legacy and Red River. Such a small word, huh?
    The shop, originally named Country Calicos (which never fit me because when I got it we were neither country or full of calico), became Silver Threads when Barbara Chirco moved to Michigan and I owned it alone after buying her out. It was located on E. Plano Parkway, a bare block off 75N.

Jan in VA
    Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 AM

Here are the components of your block. Add background strips on top and bottom after piecing to make it the desired size square or rectangle.

Jan in VA
    Jan, can I come and be your apprentice for a while?!?! Your knowledge is quite amazing as is your ability to break it down into digestible (understandable) chunks for those of us who are not well versed in the art of quilting. You always address the needs of the visual learners on this board so perfectly! Have you been a teacher at some point in your life? If not, you should be!!!!!
    Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 AM

Oh Jan in VA - thank you so much. I saw the same quilt on Pinterest and was going to try and make it. You are awesome!!
    Old 05-09-2013, 03:57 AM

Here's a cute one Jenny did over at Missouri Star. She uses the 10" half hexagon but I imagine you could use the 5" one and make smaller sailboats.

http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/sai...al-10-hexagon/