Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hoping someone can help me with a little confusion... >
  • Hoping someone can help me with a little confusion...

• Hoping someone can help me with a little confusion...

Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
    Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    The walking foot is not designed to work backwards. That is correct.
    Yikes! For real?

I go backwards all the time with mine (Bernina) because I'm too lazy to turn the quilt. My entire bee does it - Pfaffs, Janomes, Vikings.

I'm going to hope (fingers crossed ) that if it were a problem for a particular machine, it would make some horrible noise in warning.

Maybe it's just the generic feet?

Yikes!
    My Bernina walking foot says you can do reverse when the stitch length is up to 3, not when longer. I too do it all time, well not reverse stitch per se, but decorative stitching that goes reverse and forward.
    Old 03-21-2011, 03:06 PM
    Power Poster

I did a decorative stitch with my babylock and it was horrid. I think it might be a little different whether it's a built-in or an attached foot too. But in general, backwards won't work well.
    Old 03-21-2011, 03:07 PM

when I come to the end of my stitching, I hold the fabric and do a few stitches in one place to "lock" the stitching.
    As for the binding, it can be done from either front or back, all a matter of choice. I do both ways, using the zig zag stitch so it catches both sides nicely and looks good too. :)
    Old 03-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by KatFish
    If you can't reverse stitch you can do what I do with my vintage 66 Singer that doesn't have a reverse. Stitch about 1/2 inch down, lift the presser foot, slide the fabric back up to where you started, and sew back over it again. This works really well for me.
    I like your idea! I've been putting the stitch length to almost 0 and sew a few stitches, then I put the stitch width back up.....your way is a lot quicker :-)
    Old 03-21-2011, 03:29 PM

you can make tiny stitches like stich in place to secure
    Old 03-21-2011, 03:43 PM

Wow!! Thank you for asking this question. Just got a new machine and walking foot. Never even thought to check. You may have saved me a lot of grief.
    Old 03-21-2011, 04:38 PM
    Banned

I found this so interesting. I can reverse stitch on both my Elna's and my New Home with my walking foot regardless of the stitch length and it never occured to me that you couldn't on some machines. Hmmm . . . learn something new every single day! :D
    Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 AM

Someone on the board shared this link for a boarder that you can sew completely on the machine. I'm going to try it. It takes a little more fabric, but I think it will make a nice finish!

http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html
    Old 03-22-2011, 05:34 AM

I am confused. You need confusion or you are confused? If you require confusion, I have plenty to spare!! Seriously, on your question, I would reduce the stitch length at the beginning and end of each seam if my walking foot did not permit back stitching. AS for the binding technique, you can probably find a demo online. Try several methods and see which one you like best. I have tried them all and still like sewing double fold binding to the front, folding it to the back and hand stitching to finish.
    Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 AM

This sure is interesting as I can backstitch with my IDT on my Pfaff and also on the walking foot for my Juki and vintage machines.....never had a problem whatsoever. I wonder if it is just certain walking feet that don't have the capablility to backstitch? Strange but interesting and I've never had to change the stitch length either. :roll:

I have also machine stitched on both sides of my quilt first to the back and then fold over to the front without any problems either....probably more of a personal preference as we quilters seem to have a lot of them. :-D