Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Horrible Quilting Class >
  • Horrible Quilting Class

• Horrible Quilting Class

Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 AM

SherryLea,
    If you want to take a class you should. Start with a beginner class and don't be afraid to ask questions. I used to teach quilting classes and really enjoyed it. My favorite students were the beginners, really loved seeing the expression that says, "I get it!! Yippee!!"
    Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 AM

I also have done a fair amount of sewing/quilting, etc. A friend asked me to take a class with her, which I did. It was the 1st and last class I have ever taken. I was having some issues with my project, and the teacher (?) kept saying "oh don't worry, it will all come out in the quilting" I took it apart when I got home, and "fixed" it! She told all the students the same thing. I wonder how the new quilters ever finished their quilts. Possably never made another. Sad.
    Old 11-07-2010, 08:57 AM

I've been to many classes and many of them have been fun and worthwhile. One of my favorite quilt owners said to aim to learn one new thing in a class and it will be worthwhile. That has been good advice and often I've learned a lot more than one thing. I did have one bad class - cliquey, instructor kept telling me I was doing things wrong...I never went back there for a class and regret that I didn't inform the owner.
    As Jan in VA did, one of my LQS has an evaluation form that is passed out and collected by the owner.
    And lastly, not everyone who is good at a skill is good at teaching.
    lots2do
    Old 11-07-2010, 09:10 AM

I have to echo Candace - some ladies just sign up for classes as an opportunity to get together and socialize. That makes it hard on both a serious instructor and also on participants who really want to learn. I really don't know what the answer is to that, except to maybe separate the "chatterers" like we had to do in elementary school.
    Old 11-07-2010, 09:12 AM
    Power Poster

I am sorry you had such a poor experience. I think a lot of the problem is that some people teach who have no idea how to teach. I can't even imagine having 22 people in a quilting class, that is just crazy as far as I am concerned. I don't know how you could get much done, and I can't teach that way.

SherryLea, I wish we were much closer because I would come to your house and help as much as I could.
    Old 11-07-2010, 09:14 AM

So sorry you had a bad experience... but at least you made two new friends..... and that is priceless!

Hugs
    Old 11-07-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    I think some women go to classes to socialize, not necessarily to actually finish a project. I would have been one of the 3 women sewing, but I've seen many women locally, who buy TOL machines and haven't even taken them out of the box for 3-6 mos. after purchase. I do think some people are more dreamers than "doers" and sorry to hear your class wasn't enjoyable.
    That reminds me of a woman i talked to at a sewing expo many years ago. we were both watching a demo on a TOL emb. machine(still saving for mine at this point) She said she had bought that machine the year before. I said she must be having a blast with it. She said no, it was still in the box,she was afraid to use it. Sad -$5000 machine just sitting there.
    While many people take classes for the social aspect-which is fine- it's not fair to those that go to learn. It must be a challenge for the instructors to keep on track.
    Old 11-07-2010, 09:22 AM
    Power Poster

The first quilt shop class I went to I brought in my huge tub of scraps and my old Singer 301 and when I started sorting through my scraps it was like the ice broke, everyone became interested in helping me combine fabrics and picking out fabrics that they could use from my tub. I had a good time even though the instructor wasn't very good and kept leaving the class room after showing a demo of what to do.
    Old 11-07-2010, 09:40 AM

Thank you Sadiemae, I think that is part of my problem no one I know sews or quilts so if it wasn't for this forum and one other I belong too I would have no one to talk to about it. I am working on getting my courage up to go to a class at the senior citizen center. I bet their is a lot of good experience there and maybe I won't feel like a dummie in an excellarated class.
    Old 11-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Julianna, I like this post. Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. I am glad you were an experienced quilter so you could help yourself and the other 2 quilters who wanted to learn the pattern.