Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Household items turned quilting notions? >
  • Household items turned quilting notions?

• Household items turned quilting notions?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:58 AM

[quote=NanSew]
    Originally Posted by featherweight
    Originally Posted by nana pat
    Originally Posted by patdesign
    Originally Posted by spark
    Did anyone mention marbles to hold the quilt up off the table or floor while pinning?
    I don't understand this one at all. :oops:
    She explains it on page 23!!!
    Went to page 23, didn't see it, there is something on pg. 22 but it still isn't clear to me what to do, how it works, or what the purpose is. Maybe I'm just not getting it. Anyone out there that can explain it better?
    I'll help: it's easy if you just think about how and why you would use marbles. It's used for hand basting/hand pinning a quilt.

If you place the marbles, scattered about, under the backing of your layered quilt, they will create a hump everywhere there is a marble. This way, when you pin, you won't stick the pin into the carpet/flooring as the marbles have created an air space for you to use. Once that area is pinned, just push/roll them to the next area you want to pin, if there's no marbles in that place.

This is how my feeble brain would interrupt using the marbles. You could also use a lighting cover they sell at Home Depot that looks just like those grids sold for this purpose (and much more expensive). Or buy the grid made for this purpose. They all work basically the same by allowing a space for pinning to occur under the quilt layers, so you don't hit the flooring or pin your carpet to the quilt.

Hope this helps,
    Debbie in Austin

(P.S. Sometimes it's helpful to send a PM to the person who posted the hint, so they will see your message. If they don't revisit the topic, you may not get an explanation. Just my feeble thought anyway <smile>)
    Old 10-18-2010, 06:00 AM

Nansew:I would love a drop in for my machine but I have a front loading bobbin case. Any suggestions out there as to how I can accomplish this?

How about the use of the desk but take the middle drawer front off so you can reach the bobbin case.....
    Old 10-18-2010, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by gcathie
    Nansew:I would love a drop in for my machine but I have a front loading bobbin case. Any suggestions out there as to how I can accomplish this?

How about the use of the desk but take the middle drawer front off so you can reach the bobbin case.....
    I had wondered about that. I think I would have to keep a flashlight handy so I can see what I am doing...lol...worth a shot. Thanks.
    Old 10-18-2010, 06:13 AM

[quote=dgmoby]
    Originally Posted by NanSew
    Did anyone mention marbles to hold the quilt up off the table or floor while pinning?
    Went to page 23, didn't see it, there is something on pg. 22 but it still isn't clear to me what to do, how it works, or what the purpose is. Maybe I'm just not getting it. Anyone out there that can explain it better?
    I'll help: it's easy if you just think about how and why you would use marbles. It's used for hand basting/hand pinning a quilt.

If you place the marbles, scattered about, under the backing of your layered quilt, they will create a hump everywhere there is a marble. This way, when you pin, you won't stick the pin into the carpet/flooring as the marbles have created an air space for you to use. Once that area is pinned, just push/roll them to the next area you want to pin, if there's no marbles in that place.

This is how my feeble brain would interrupt using the marbles. You could also use a lighting cover they sell at Home Depot that looks just like those grids sold for this purpose (and much more expensive). Or buy the grid made for this purpose. They all work basically the same by allowing a space for pinning to occur under the quilt layers, so you don't hit the flooring or pin your carpet to the quilt.

Hope this helps,
    Debbie in Austin

(P.S. Sometimes it's helpful to send a PM to the person who posted the hint, so they will see your message. If they don't revisit the topic, you may not get an explanation. Just my feeble thought anyway <smile>)
    I don't think your mind is feeble at all or maybe both of us are feeble minded because I understood your explanation perfectly. I like the idea of the light grid. Thanks for that tip too.
    Old 10-18-2010, 06:25 AM

If you go to the toystore they usually have bags of marbles you can get for a dollar or two. The bigger marbles (shooter?)work better as they hold the fabric a little higher. I use the smaller ones in around the pots of of my plants lols Or you can always give them to your kids or grandkids to play with.
    Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 AM

[quote=dgmoby]
    Originally Posted by NanSew

Hope this helps,
    Debbie in Austin

You explained it perfect. It would sure keep you from pinning the quilt to the carpet.
    Old 10-18-2010, 07:37 AM

gcathy,
    Thank you so much for the pics. WOW love the ideas.
    Old 10-18-2010, 07:54 AM

I haven't seen this yet...I've gone to the hardware store and purchased clear tubing. I then cut it into segments just wide enough to fit the inside rim of my bobbins. Then I cut the 'circle' apart in one place so that I can pull it apart to put on the bobbin. I like them because they are clear and I can see what color of thread is on the bobbin.
    Old 10-18-2010, 09:39 AM

this is how I keep bobbins with the right spools
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-106142.jpe  
    Old 10-18-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by carol45
    this is how I keep bobbins with the right spools
    Very awesome idea!!! Thanks.