Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Household items turned quilting notions? >
  • Household items turned quilting notions?

• Household items turned quilting notions?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:28 AM

I am on my third expanding wand magnate from Harbor Freights for picking up dropped pins and needles, I also bought a magnate for holdind nuts and bolts thar has a wrist band that is closed with velcro, also from HF. I love that place.
    Old 10-14-2010, 12:34 AM

I have a carpet sample square under my sewing machine and I use 2 door stops under the back of my sewing machine to tilt it forward so I can easily see what I'm doing without having to bend my neck/back so much. Much less back pain and better piecing!!
    Old 10-14-2010, 01:09 AM

i have used my husband "T-Bar" (used for cutting long straight lines,like drywall) for squaring up the quilt. I did it on the basement floor,that is not carpeted.
    also used my husbands 90 degree laser level for the same thing.

duct tape to hold down the backing when pinning.

i ran out of loose chalk once, while marking the quilt, as i was quilting (i do it in sections)and used flour in a pinch..
    Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 AM

I use my diabetes test strip packaging for holding bobbins. I can put about five wound bobbins in each of the little tubes and label them as to what color thread. The lids keep the bobbins from getting lost. Works really well when I'm going to a class or a retreat.

I use one of the metal eyeglass cases for my rotary cutting tool. I can put the tool and extra blades in the case and drop it in my purse. Really convenient when going to class or a retreat.

Also, another item - well, it's not a household item, but it certainly has been repurposed. I use a fairly long (drinking straw length) wand about the thickness of a coffee stir stick with a small brush on one end to clean lint out of the bobbin area of my machine. My daughter uses it on her Gammill for the same purpose. The wand is extremely flexible and I can get into all the nooks and crannies underneath and around the bobbin with no trouble at all and I don't have to take the machine apart.

I got the wand from my gynecologist - they use them for taking specimens for pap smears.
    Old 10-14-2010, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Suzan Larrimore
    I broke a springed clothes pin in half, use the flat part to open and hand press seams the way I want them to go. It keeps my finger from getting burned.
    Great idea!!
    Old 10-14-2010, 03:10 AM

What a fantastic question. Its early so my brain isn't on total function yet.
    Recipe box Large size to hold computer program CD's
    mole foam--cut a small strip and stick to your machine bed for a seam guide. Just measure your exact 1/4" and lay the mole foam down.
    Mole foam square on front of machine to hold pins as I take them out of a project.
    Pizza boxes (I buy them from the pizza place) for storing blocks in progress
    Plastic knife to close pins when basting a quilt
    Ziplock bags to transport projects to work on in waiting rooms etc.
    Thats all I can think of right now. Thanks everyone for sharing their "other use" hints.
    Old 10-14-2010, 03:16 AM

Also the freezer paper, you iron the shiny side to your fabric and then cut out the applique pieces.

Originally Posted by ktbb
    The paper you mentioned is parchment paper and it can be used for anything for which you need an ironingsheet. Because it's non-stick, it's especially good for any fusible applications, - applique as you mentioned is one.

lots of folks use a spoon, especially a grapefruit spoon as the tool to help put in quilting safety pins...holds the fabric down as you push the pin thru - the serrations on the graprfruit spoon can help keep the pointed end of the pin from moving around when you try to close it.
    Old 10-14-2010, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
    I use chopsticks when I turn things right side out after sewing. They poke the corners out nicely.
    ditto..aren't they great !!

Can't eat a thing with them but they I get a lot of use from them in my sewing room..........
    Old 10-14-2010, 03:32 AM

I use a Bagel Cutter to hold my rulers.
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:08 AM

This is one of the best questions on this blog - Thanks for all of the ideas ; the ones I use have been mentioned and I think it is great to see them in print