Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Household items turned quilting notions? >
  • Household items turned quilting notions?

• Household items turned quilting notions?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:31 AM

I am curious what type of household items you guys have turned into quilting notions.

I know there is some kind of paper....wax paper, parchment, freezer?? something to do with applique.

What else do you guys use? I can start off the list.

I have to sing the praises of liquid bandages. If you are actually cut, scraped, or otherwise injured, don't use it. It's burns like all get out and it doesn't really work as a bandage. What I love about it, is that I can put a layer on my fingertips and it protects them from the needle as I hand quilt. I've been trying to build up callouses for years and I can't get them to start. So, while I don't prick my finger when I quilt, I do feel for the needle to make sure it's gone through all the layers. I end up with a brown fingertip from all the needle marks. I put 2 thin layers of the liquid bandage on and once it dries, I can quilt over an hour straight before I have to look and see if I need to reapply. I love the stuff.

Ok...your turn.
    Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 AM

The paper you mentioned is parchment paper and it can be used for anything for which you need an ironingsheet. Because it's non-stick, it's especially good for any fusible applications, - applique as you mentioned is one.

lots of folks use a spoon, especially a grapefruit spoon as the tool to help put in quilting safety pins...holds the fabric down as you push the pin thru - the serrations on the graprfruit spoon can help keep the pointed end of the pin from moving around when you try to close it.
    Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 AM

I use chopsticks when I turn things right side out after sewing. They poke the corners out nicely.
    Old 10-13-2010, 06:58 AM
    RST

Freezer paper is also a staple for applique. You can trace a design through it easily and mark it on the paper side. The plastic side will adhere to fabric when ironed on w/ a cool iron, but easy to remove, and often use again. You can find it in most grocery stores.

I use old CDs, in both the standard size and the minis as a circle template. The standard fits very nicely on a charm pack square (5").

I know I've got other clever re-uses, but none springs to my sleep deprived mind at this moment.

RST
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 AM

Ooh, this is kind of fun!

I use a bamboo skewer as a stiletto. Also works great to completely turn out corners.

I use a revolving multi-layer pencil holder as a tool holder near the sewing maching.

I use one a silicone hot pads for an iron rest.

I use those little plastic trays that Crisco shortening bars come in as sorters in my shallow drawers. They're just the perfect size to sort sewing notions & gadgets.

Is this a re-use? I use my chest freezer as a cutting table/ironing board.
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:27 AM

I use bamboo skewers as a "stilleto". I cut one in half and taped the cut end. Works great and is CHEAP!

I use freezer paper for appliqueing

I have a wire "tray" thing that our flatware came in to hold my rulers.

I bought old plastic flatware trays at thrift stores to hold my individual pieces.

I haven't got it finished yet, but I was able to find a 6 foot roller shade at a thrift store for $10.00. I bought some flannel and will glue the flannel to it. VOILA - a designer wall!!!!
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:29 AM

These aren't earth-shattering but almost everything in my sewing room is not specifically for sewing. I use a dish-drying rack for a ruler stand. And I'm a container nut. Everything is in a container-within a container - all re-purposed. I covered a liquor box with fabric to use as a scrap basket. I use an old stereo cabinet for a rolling shelf unit, with great shelves! I use front-loading in-out boxes and slip in old candy boxes for seperate marking/cutting tool containers ... beside a silverware tray with lots of compartments. I use a kitchen turntable for all kinds of things, and pizza boxes for blocks-in-progress. Everything is labeled.
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:30 AM
    Power Poster

I have a very large heavy glass beer stein that I throw large cones of thread in that would not fit on my machine. So kind of like a spool holder. then I put it about 1 foot away behind my machine and sew or fill bobbins.
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:39 AM

I also use a bamboo skewer as a stilleto.

I take a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper and wrap it around a small piece of cardboard and duct tape to the back for holding blocks in place for either signing (siggie) or drawing lines from cornor to cornor.

I stole my dh's 48" t-square for cutting larger pieces of fabric.

I use cornstarch to make my own spray starch, instead of buying, a HUGE savings.

I use an old ceramic cookie jar for all my fabric pens and markers.
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:42 AM

Rolling microwave table shortened to roll under the table, can use for spools extra storage, and more portable flat storage, also corner unit to hold printer and TV W/drawer for paper, of course on clearance really cheap !