Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Housework vs. Quilting >
  • Housework vs. Quilting

• Housework vs. Quilting

Old 09-26-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
    Am I the only one who cannot relax and quilt if there is any housework calling my name??
    Inquiring mind would like to know.
    As I mentioned before, I have OCD and have to do other chores. I am thankful that my DH works, and commutes 1.5 hours to work and back, and I am able to stay home. I feel that I owe it to him to have everything in order before he gets home. He encourages me to take more time quilting. I also do other hobbies besides quilting too. But, when I do quilt, I have such a wonderful time, because all else has been done. Glad to know there are others like me :thumbup:
    Old 09-26-2010, 01:28 PM

I can quilt even with a messy house, but it bugs me. I start to feel stressed the messier the house gets, so I try not to let it get too bad. Generally speaking I do a nice thorough clean once a week (usually after our weekend) and try to keep up with the dishes and laundry until then.

I will say, as much as I dread doing all the cleaning, once I get started it's not so bad. Just gotta get in gear. Then once it's finished, I feel fantastic and very peaceful, lol.
    Old 09-26-2010, 01:45 PM

I work full time and always clean on Friday nights. I keep the house picked up as much as possible during the week, but I want the weekends to do anything I want to. If I decide to go to Vegas thats an all day trip which leaves me 1 day off before going back to work. I hate a dirty house. I make sure everything is done before I get me time. The older I get the worse it seems to get. I do drive my Husband nuts sometimes. Now my Sister is a differen't story. She just looks at it and puts it off for the next day. :roll:
    Old 09-26-2010, 02:47 PM

I used to be that way when my kids were little and my DH worked nights. I never got any sewing or quilting done. I couldn't sit still at my machine if anything was left undone. Thankfully I grew out of it! "The only time that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary".
    Old 09-26-2010, 03:06 PM

A wise woman once told me : House work is your best friend. It will always wait for you and never start without you.

My house is a mess, my sewing room is tidy. Got to have priorities - right?
    Old 09-26-2010, 03:09 PM

I think it all depends. If I am in a quilting mood, then I will quilt all day, and the housework does not get done. Other days I have to get the house clean because I can't stand the mess anymore. There is not just one way or the other for me. I can sew in the evenings now since my new janome is so much more quieter than my singer. that helps when I get the urge to sew.
    Old 09-26-2010, 03:26 PM

We do a good house cleaning once a week but the rest of the time, I can quilt. I like things neat but don't look in my sewing room....can't be neat AND creative at the same time.
    Old 09-26-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
    I can quilt even with a messy house, but it bugs me. I start to feel stressed the messier the house gets, so I try not to let it get too bad.............I will say, as much as I dread doing all the cleaning, once I get started it's not so bad. Just gotta get in gear. Then once it's finished, I feel fantastic and very peaceful, lol.
    Me, too. :wink: I'm not perfect, but I do it when I can. :oops: :roll:
    Old 09-26-2010, 06:38 PM

I always feel better if all is in order before I go to my sewing room. I try to keep things picked up and neat. I do a little everyday so if I decide to skip a day It doesn't hurt.
    Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 AM

I'm retired, so I feel extra guilty if I don't spend several hours each day on housework. If anything doesn't get done by noon, forget it. The afternoon is all mine!