Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How artsy can I get with quilting? >
  • How artsy can I get with quilting?

• How artsy can I get with quilting?

Old 03-26-2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    A wonderfully complete and concise answer to your question. I would only add, if you're thinking of doing 'branch shapes', look into some of the various color choices you have for hand quilting thread as well. Determine if you want your branches to be noticed or not (I would think you would) and how 'earthy' looking you want to go. I love using various colored threads - even in a single quilt - to highlight or lowlight my quilting.
    Wow! This is exciting. The quilt is currently monochromatic green (yellow greens blending to dark green) so there's lots of different ways I could go with that. I checked out the big stitch quilting and loved the idea of using thick threads. This could be awesome!

Last edited by Cedar; 03-26-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    Old 03-26-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by DJ
    Do you think some of the big stitch hand quilting would look good?
    Yes! I researched big stitch quilting and I think it's perfect! Hopefully I'll be able to find a good batting that does what I want, but even if I can't I could fill in the white space with some normal sized thread quilting in a color that blends and the big stitch should be able to stand out and still do everything I want. It's a lot of work and a lot to learn but I'm so much more confident in my hand sewing than my machine sewing that it seems like the right move. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Old 03-27-2014, 08:35 AM

Be sure to post a photo when you get it under way. And give FMQ a try when you get a chance. I'm now addicted!
    Old 03-27-2014, 02:03 PM

Warm and Natural batting (or Warm and white) lets you stitch up to ten inches apart. I am not sure how it works for hand quilting, as I machine quilt, but I would think it would be okay.

Dina
    Old 03-27-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
    Warm and Natural batting (or Warm and white) lets you stitch up to ten inches apart. I am not sure how it works for hand quilting, as I machine quilt, but I would think it would be okay.

Dina
    Thanks Dina. I did a little research and warm and natural is supposed to be difficult to hand stitch. I'm pretty sure that the issue I'll struggle with when hand sewing is that my hand work is usually very tight, but I'm not sure if having a batting with more tooth will be a help or a hindrance with this. It's something to consider