Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • how bad is bad? >
  • how bad is bad?

• how bad is bad?

Old 04-23-2011, 01:55 AM

I'm finishing my first FM quilt and i found it to be harder than I thought. My lines are really not straight and flowers are distorted. Is this acceptble for a charity quilt? I am learning but also embarrassed.
    Old 04-23-2011, 02:00 AM

Yes they don't this is how it was meant to be and we are our worst critics whoever receives it will know that you put a lot of care into making a quilt for comfort for someone in need of something of their own
    Old 04-23-2011, 03:56 AM

Everyone has to start some place so they can learn. I think it would be just fine for a charity quilt. Most times people don't see the mistakes that are glaringly obvious to us the quilter. There is no need to be embarrased as we all had to learn and to start somewhere....we learn as we go. Our mistakes are what creates experience. The more we do the better we become.
    Old 04-23-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    Everyone has to start some place so they can learn. I think it would be just fine for a charity quilt. Most times people don't see the mistakes that are glaringly obvious to us the quilter. There is no need to be embarrased as we all had to learn and to start somewhere....we learn as we go. Our mistakes are what creates experience. The more we do the better we become.
    So true. Don't point out or apologise for your mistakes, and probably no-one will even notice. I've found that friends who don't sew are just in awe that I could make a quilt, and there's absolutely no need to explain all that's wrong with it - just take the compliments graciously :-)
    Old 04-23-2011, 04:31 AM

Agree with all of the above, AND it's for charity. How could anyone complain about a quilt you are giving to a charity???
    Old 04-23-2011, 04:31 AM

My daughter sleeps under a quilt that the dark blue bled into the yellow and I swear she doesn't even notice. It is her favorite quilt! Your quilt will be loved and appreciated!
    Old 04-23-2011, 04:40 AM

Agreed, we are hard on ourselves! It is a charity quilt after all! You are kind give of your time and talent! The quilt will be loved!
    Old 04-23-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
    Agreed, we are hard on ourselves! It is a charity quilt after all! You are kind give of your time and talent! The quilt will be loved!
    DITTO :!:
    Old 04-23-2011, 04:44 AM
    Power Poster

I'm making my sister a quilt. I want to MQ it but my skills are lacking.
    She said " Oh don't worry, you can practice on mine b/c I won't know the difference"
    Now this is a woman who loves nice things but knows nothing about sewing. She sees the fabrics and the love!!! :D:D
    Hope her non-quilter viewpoint helps!!!
    Old 04-23-2011, 04:45 AM

Yes I think, when you do it yourself you just automatically strive for perfection.. Impossible, but we are our worse enemy when it comes to our work. I used an old fabric that no one seemed to like, it had horses and duck and deer on it. I did several different styles of quilting on it, I used an old plain sheet for backing, I practiced on it. It is in my living room because I was using it for warming calves... hahahha.. you know I get more compliments on that silly "practice" quilt.. No one sees what I saw.. and after it was washed most of the things kinda disappeared.. You can not see the lines that are not so straight, or the flower that is kinda out of kilter. Be proud and ssssshhhhhhh on what you think is not perfect.. never tell..