Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How big do you make your baby quilts? >
  • How big do you make your baby quilts?

• How big do you make your baby quilts?

Old 03-20-2014, 04:38 PM

A crib batting is 45 x 60, so that is what I aim at. I will NOT spend my time making a "baby" quilt that the kid will outgrow before his first birthday.
    Old 03-20-2014, 05:03 PM
    Power Poster

It depends. I just made some at 38x38 and they were nice size. Generally I try to keep the width less than the width of the bolt so I don't have to piece the backing fabric. Yours is cute and I agree - the proportions seem off. I'd make it a bit wider.
    Old 03-21-2014, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dispatchgirl
    I am working on two baby quilts for some ladies who are having boys this summer. I was wondering what size do you all usually make your baby quilts? I was reading in one of my quilt books 23"x46" but now I am thinking that might just be the size of the crib mattress. Ill have to go back and read it again. It doesnt look the right size to me. I just finished my quilt top but I think I am going to need to add some more blocks *sigh*

this is a pic of it before I sewed it together

[ATTACH=CONFIG]468123[/ATTACH]
    No less than a 40 inch square that way it covers baby up in carrier carseat.I have made them 40x50 and it was good also. Parents always loved them because you could do that with them.
    Old 03-21-2014, 03:59 AM

Crib size batts are usually 45 X 50 inches. I make mine about 40 X 55 or so to take advantage of the batts and to be large enough for long time use. I may occasionally make a square quilt but usually don't like that shape much.
    Old 03-21-2014, 04:29 AM

I do one closer to 45 x 60, so that it will last as the child grows a bit and needs a nap quilt or " blankie" . Anything smaller and they've outgrown too soon.
    Old 03-21-2014, 04:30 AM

It is not safe to use a blanket, quilt or any sort of thing like this in a crib. The baby could suffocate. This happened to a friend's daughter when she was 10 months old while taking a nap. Tragic. I've made baby quilts and they are most often used on the floor to lay the baby on for play. My daughter used the ones I made her children later to set a boundary for where they could sit when they watched TV when they were older. You don't want it to be so big it is hard to manage for a toddler/pre-schooler yet so small that it can't be purposefully used over time.
    Old 03-21-2014, 04:44 AM

I found this doll quilt top, sooo cute, but way to small. I am going to add borders to make it bigger.
    Old 03-21-2014, 04:45 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I tend to make them about 45x45 since dr.s advise that we don't use blankets on baby, in the crib, til I think a yr. by then the 45x45 size gives em good coverage and can be used on the floor, over a car seat and to wrap em up even when they are under a yr. I've made em smaller for moms who need one in a bassinet while they are at grandma's or in the pack n play at the sitters. unless you are using a pattern I think size can vary with no problems! I like the fabrics you chose.
    Old 03-21-2014, 05:25 AM

I buy the WN crib size quilt batt and make mine as close to the size of the batt as possible. Then I don't have much batting waste. I think the size of the crib quilt batt is 45 x 60. I use yardage material for the backing and it usually comes in 41 - 44 inch wide so again not much waste.
    Old 03-21-2014, 05:47 AM

I agree that there is no right size. However, I do think that 23" is a little too small. I try to make sure that mine end up at least 40" x 40" . Some of them actually end up being square. I don't think the baby cares much one way of the other.