Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How big do you make your baby quilts? >
  • How big do you make your baby quilts?

• How big do you make your baby quilts?

Old 03-21-2014, 05:51 AM

I usually do 48 x 48 or 48 x 52 -- i think that maybe they will use it on the floor -- or out in the grass on a nice day - and want it to be big enough for that....and hopefully big enough for the child to use as a "blanket" for a few years.
    Old 03-21-2014, 06:17 AM

I make them any size I want to also ;-) However, I make a lot of Quilts for Kids quilts. The ones for small children are generally about 38"- 40" by about 45"- 46". I like those widths because you don't have to piece the backing.
    Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 AM

Depends on what the pattern says if I use one. I'm doing a Kimberbell quilt and it's only 32" square. A little small for me so I'm adding an inch to the borders. If i'm picking the size I keep the square within WOF so 40ish so I don't have to piece the back . Also depends on who is getting it. I make a bunch for my coworkers on a large nursing unit. Those tend to be on the smaller side around 36 square. If it's a relative, good friend or someone special - I tend to go rectangle and a little bigger. I'd say 46 is plenty long enough you might want to add a row to the width. Honestly, they're going to love and the size doesn't matter.
    Old 03-21-2014, 06:54 AM

I think your quilt needs one more row of squares on one side.

The shape is called "The Golden Mean". Pictures come in 3x5, 5x7, 4x6, 8x12, ; you get the picture! The formula is one by one and one half. If your blanket is 20 inches wide, that would make it 30 inches long. Somewhere near that shape is pleasing to the eye.

I have made receiving blankets for lots of babies: one yard by WOF. Usually that is about 36x44". This shape was loved by all recipients.

Last edited by maviskw; 03-21-2014 at 06:56 AM.
    Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM

A couple of years ago I started making larger baby quilts and called them "Tummy Time Quilt" on the label. The mothers liked that idea.
    Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 AM

I usually make them 36 by 42 depending on patterns of as I mostly use panels for quick results, depends on the size of the panels.
    Old 03-21-2014, 10:17 AM
    Power Poster

I tend to make my baby quilts larger than crib size, so that the quilt can be used on the floor for baby to play on. They end up roughly 45" square, 45 x 60, thereabouts; I know that's not very specific, but sometimes a quilt will say "I'm done" when it's crib size, or when it's larger. I like to make 9-patch blocks, alternating with a plain block, or snowball block, 5 blocks x 7 blocks, plus a 5-6" border. For some reason the math isn't making sense to me, but that's roughly 47" x 54" I think. LOL. Guess my brain is still sleeping.
    Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM

I do like the narrow, 24 x 36 for stroller covers. I make most of my gifting baby quilts 43 inches square. That way I don't have to piece the back, and they can become drag arounds later.
    Old 03-21-2014, 12:53 PM

I make mine large so they can be used longer. Usually around 48 X 60 inches or so, however the pattern works out. I think they're nice to have for toddlers to take naps, for floor mats, to take in the car and wrap around the car seat, etc. Plus, you can swaddle them up in one if it's large enough, even when they're little.
    Old 03-21-2014, 02:32 PM

I try to not go smaller than 36 x 48. Often using 1 yard by width of fabric and then add whatever border I feel is appropriate.