Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to clean my wool pressing mat >
  • How to clean my wool pressing mat

• How to clean my wool pressing mat

Old 01-22-2021, 04:03 AM

Mine was just a bit wavy on the edges when I finished it, but after I trimmed it to size, it was better and after using it awhile, it's not wavy at all.
    Old 01-22-2021, 06:22 AM

I thought I was being smart and bought a “horse wool pad”. I got a bigger size and it was less expensive vs “a quilting wool pad”. It looks brand new and very compact or felted. It seems to do a great job. However, I am noticing lots of little particle strands/fibers on the cotton underside of whatever I am pressing/ironing. How do you get rid of these little strands/fibers? Use sticky roller? Vacuum? Wash or rinse the pad? Use pressing sheet layer between wool pad and item being ironed/pressed? Thanks,
    Old 01-22-2021, 07:40 AM
    Power Poster

I am sure the horse wool pad still has all the natural oils in it, making it better to be next to the horse. The lanolin could be making the wool thread slippery and they fall out. ?
    Old 01-23-2021, 05:20 AM

I would use a pressing sheet over the wool pad, I started laying a linen tea towel over mine and it works fine. Also, you might try shaving it with a razor. When I made my wool pad, I had to shave it quite a bit to get smooth after I felted it.
    Old 01-23-2021, 05:31 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ChattyKathy
    I thought I was being smart and bought a “horse wool pad”. I got a bigger size and it was less expensive vs “a quilting wool pad”. It looks brand new and very compact or felted. It seems to do a great job. However, I am noticing lots of little particle strands/fibers on the cotton underside of whatever I am pressing/ironing. How do you get rid of these little strands/fibers? Use sticky roller? Vacuum? Wash or rinse the pad? Use pressing sheet layer between wool pad and item being ironed/pressed? Thanks,
    That is the main reason I made a muslin ( I used good quality muslin) case for it. Works great. Keeps the fibers away from what I am pressing and I can wash it when it gets yucky. I just used safety pins to close the open end.
    Old 01-23-2021, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    That is the main reason I made a muslin ( I used good quality muslin) case for it. Works great. Keeps the fibers away from what I am pressing and I can wash it when it gets yucky. I just used safety pins to close the open end.
    Thanks I will definitely try using a muslin interface.
    Old 01-23-2021, 02:13 PM

If it were me, I'd throw the wool pressing mat right into the washing machine, in cool water. I would then smooth it out and lay it flat to dry. I would not hang it. I have a mat that I made several years ago and have washed it several times. It always comes out great. I've never had any scorch marks on mine, (fingers crossed,) but I like OnebOne's idea of using a steak knife to scrape them off.

Last edited by tropit; 01-23-2021 at 02:17 PM.
    Old 01-30-2021, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by ChattyKathy
    Try shaving it with a razor, that's what I had to do to the one that I made myself after I felted it. Also, I started using a linen tea towel on top of mine when ironing now so I don't get the scorch marks.