Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to conduct a "test drive" >
  • How to conduct a "test drive"

• How to conduct a "test drive"

Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM

I have never purchased a sewing machine. I sew on a 20 year old Kenmore that my husband got me and I've come to love it. But I think I'm falling for machine quilting even more and there just isn't enough room under the arm. And needle down sure would be nice. So I'm thinking about a new machine and need advice. When you go to test a new machine will they let me sew on it, or do I just watch? Do I need to bring fabric with me to sew on? Should I schedule a time or just show up? I know these questions sound silly, but there it is! Any advice, tips, info you can share will be appreciated.
    Old 06-07-2011, 03:37 PM

Yes, they let you try it out. They will provide scrap fabric - they will show you all the features of the machine. Then when you are ready, they will let you sew on it. I have a baby lock Elllure and it is a sewing & embroidery machine. I love it - however I haven't done much embroidery on it yet. I am suppose to take a class on how it works, but haven't signed up yet. When you buy a new machine at a fabric shop, they will give you free lessons on your machine. My machine was on sale for about $1,000. Decide on a price you want to pay and then find a machine in your price range.
    Ask lots of questions and when in doubt don't - that's my motto! Patti
    Old 06-07-2011, 03:42 PM

Try as many machines as you want in the store & ask questions. If the store is some place you will want to do business with, they will be very helpful & willing to take time with you. If they don't treat you nice at this point, they won't have good service later if you need it!!! Take your time & enjoy. Of course that being said I just sat at the Bernina 440, tried it once & said yep! that's the one I want, lol! LOVE IT!
    Old 06-07-2011, 03:44 PM

i take real world projects with me and do them in the store.

so make a 4 patch and check for straight seam that are 1/4 each. test to see have it sews over the seams when putting the block together.

bring in a quilt sandwich and test the walking foot and the free motion quilting.

have an applique block to test the various machine applique stitches.

i make handbags often so i bring an almost finished bag and i finish it to test its ability to sew over thick seams.

so i'm sure you get the idea - bring in samples of the type of sewing you do and plan on doing in the future and test the machine to its fullest.
    Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 PM
    Kas

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i take real world projects with me and do them in the store.

so make a 4 patch and check for straight seam that are 1/4 each. test to see have it sews over the seams when putting the block together.

bring in a quilt sandwich and test the walking foot and the free motion quilting.

have an applique block to test the various machine applique stitches.

i make handbags often so i bring an almost finished bag and i finish it to test its ability to sew over thick seams.

so i'm sure you get the idea - bring in samples of the type of sewing you do and plan on doing in the future and test the machine to its fullest.
    This is the best advice for trying out a new machine. But you also need to have good service options, so factor that into your choice. Have fun choosing!
    Old 06-07-2011, 06:18 PM
    Banned

Go with questions to ask. If you are not interested in the 250+ decorative stitches then ask that the sales person first show you what you want and why you are buying the machine. For exampe if you want to machine quit then deal with that first. That is after a general overview of the working of the machine. Don't spend time on how buttonholes are made if you are not going to make buttonholes. If you are looking t machine quilt then I strongly suggest you look at the new machines (Janome Horizon, Elna etc) that has an 11 inch opening. They are sure easier to deal with a large quilt than the smaller ones.
    They will cost around $2500-$3000. Sometme less.
    Also, if it is convenient go to a quilt show that has sewing machine vendors and you will see many models. Check on the internet for Quilt Shows in your state or surrounding states. I don't know where you live in SC but there will be a large one in Atlanta in October. I have learned not to spend time being shown something I am not interested in. If I want to make buttonholes then I will go to the dealer at that time. Get my drift?
    Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 PM

I would take projects that I work on and the thread that I use. I would check around and see what options I wanted compared to what is offered. Do you want an automatic needle threader? Do you want a thread cutter? Do you want electronic or computerized machine? Do you want a large harp, if so how wide do you want? Do you want an oscillating bobbin or a top loading one? Have a general idea of what you want in a machine as well as a price limit. If a business isn't going to let your try a machine, don't buy from them. You wouldn't buy a car without trying it out, would you? Sometimes the dealer will take 10 layers of denim and demonstrate that it will sew through those 10 layers. Are you going to be sewing through 10 layers of denim? If you are, great machine, if not it is just a dog and pony show. Take cotton layered with some batting to sew, too. Good Luck.
    Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 PM

It doesn't hurt to make an appointment. Some days are busier than others, maybe a sale and a class. If they expect you they will hopefully have made some free time. You want a reputable dealer who will hopefully be around for a long time to come. You should get a manual and free classes. Good luck!
    Old 06-08-2011, 01:03 AM

Thanks everyone. Very helpful!
    Old 06-08-2011, 02:02 AM

Another suggestion, make a list of all the features you 'need' and the ones you 'want'. Do an online search to see which machines have those features. I made up a spreadsheet so I could easily compare feature to feature by machine. Then, do as others have said and take real-world examples with you. You probably won't be able to get pricing online as most of the higher end machines have dealers with specific territories. Rarely will they give even ball park pricing online. And don't be afraid to negotiate - most dealers are VERY flexible on pricing.