Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to convert desk into sewing table ? >
  • How to convert desk into sewing table ?

• How to convert desk into sewing table ?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 AM

Default How to convert desk into sewing table ?

My DH said he would convert a desk into a sewing table for me but not sure what would support the machine . He can easily cut the top to fit but there has to be more than that. Anyone out there who has done it and can tell us what to do?
    Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Most often the machine is set into a built box or sits on a shelf, attached to the underside of the desk with brackets

You want to make sure account for access to the bobbin (depending on your machine), and the depth (so your machine bed will be even with the table top).

When you cut the initial piece out, if you do it an angle, you will be able to "replace" for a flat surface (if that option is needed).

Or, instead of leaving it whole, you can then cut the insert to fit your machine perfectly (then you won't need a plastic insert)

Did you want a lift?
    Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 AM
    Power Poster

Several ideas in this thread:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...s-t190572.html
    Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM

This is from a carpentry site. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ca...onversion.html
    Old 01-17-2013, 11:02 AM

eleanor burns has this http://www.quiltinaday.com/freepattern/

page down and look for "how to make a sewing table from a farm table", click that and you get a pdf instruction sheet that you can print out.

somewhere in her videos they show how to do it but i don't know which video it is. you would have to search through them to find it or contact their store.

the video is in the Rainbow Floral series of videos. "Designing a sewing studio"

Last edited by pdcakm; 01-17-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Old 01-17-2013, 05:37 PM

This is so obvious I hate to write it, but be sure your machine will work when sunk into a desk. I have 3 sewing machines and only 1 would work if put into a desk. The other two have features that would become unuseable. One wouldn't be able to embroidery. The other has a short arm bed so that I can sew small diameter sleeves or other type things and I couldn't use that feature if it were level with the desk top.
    Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
    This is so obvious I hate to write it, but be sure your machine will work when sunk into a desk. I have 3 sewing machines and only 1 would work if put into a desk. The other two have features that would become unuseable. One wouldn't be able to embroidery. The other has a short arm bed so that I can sew small diameter sleeves or other type things and I couldn't use that feature if it were level with the desk top.
    If I have to use my "free arm" feature I just lift my machine up & out of the desk & do the stitching.... it's a little precarious balancing it up there... but to be honest... I only use that feature for mending...so it's not right up at the top of my list of concerns......
    Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I am going to have my DH read all these suggestions and I know he will come up with the best idea on how to fix this.
    Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 PM

You can buy a lift that attaches to the inside and allows you to lift the machine and use the free arm, then push it back down to table height.
    Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    If I have to use my "free arm" feature I just lift my machine up & out of the desk & do the stitching.... it's a little precarious balancing it up there... but to be honest... I only use that feature for mending...so it's not right up at the top of my list of concerns......
    My dh modified a desk for me to use as a sewing table. Machine fits down into it nicely. If I need to use the free arm, I lift up the machine and he made a "cover" to go over the cutout part and I set the machine on it. Right now I have another machine sitting on the desk top as the machine that fits in there has a broken part. Makes it easy to use whichever machine I want.