Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How did you learn how to quilt? >
  • How did you learn how to quilt?

• How did you learn how to quilt?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 AM
    Power Poster

I watched quilt shows on t.v. and bought books and mags. taught myself otherwise.
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 AM

My mother taught me to sew when I was 7. I was ill for a year and she did it in self defense. It kept me busy. I watched her quilt and by the time I was 13 I was sewing and quilting beside her. That was 40+ years ago! I am always learning new things. I started at the library, before the web. I've been using the web since 1995. When I want to find out how to do something, I always search the web, such as when I needed to learn how to paper piece for a project where I was piecing little 3 inch triangles for a fractal quilt. I just take what Mom taught me and keep adding to it.
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:21 AM

I took a class years ago - applique, which I didn't really like. Then I started using books. I've taken a lot of classes since then, and I've watched Lap Quilting, Kaye Wood and Eleanor Burns plus I've bought a lot of books.
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:32 AM

self taught...my first quilt was from quilts quilts quilts...it was a sampler..great way to learn..blessings
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 AM

My Mom taught me how to sew. I made my first patchwork pillow in Girl Scouts in the 70's. I helped my Mom tie some quilts she had made. I continued to do some trial and error...mostly error...sewing. In the early 90's I worked at a beautiful quilt shop in Vermont- where we sold handquilted quilts for up to $1000. I was surrounded by inspiration for 8 hrs a day. I learned a lot by studying those quilts. I mostly taught myself how to quilt from then on with books, a few quilting classes, and I continue to learn something new each time I visit the Quilting Board. Thank you to everyone...you're awesome teachers!!
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:43 AM

My dear mother, books and quilting classes. I started quilting in the 1950's because my mother would always have a quilt up and I would help her. Made my first quilt in 1962 when my first hubsand was killed and had a 6 mo. old daughter and had to do something to keep my sanity and help me at night as she would go to bed at 6:30 at night.Things slacked off and in the 80's was chairwoman of our church's quilt raffle and started making quilts for that raffle every year and am still at it plus making quilts for grandchildren , have four and made one for each when they were three years old and also for graduation from hight school. Have one put together for 11 year old granddaughter but needs to be quilted yet. I suppose now I can start one for their weddings.
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 AM

I taught myself. I saw a quillo/puff quilt in a John Wayne Museum. I looked it over, figured out how I would make it. I came home and researched the internet, found what I needed. I purchased fabric and went about it. Took a long time, but, just loved the process and what came of it. I am now hooked on quilting
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:50 AM

I am just learning and most of my learning is coming from books, youtube videos, and trial and error.
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 AM

I always loved looking at all the beautiful quilts everyone made and always wished I could make one. With the loss of my dear husband I found myself sitting around watching the tube. To me this is a big waste of time so I decided to take the plunge and open the sewing machine. But first I did a lot of checking on the computer (self taught) and found many good instructions. So off to JOANN's bought the fabric and did it. This is my first project. I did not do the actual quilting as I do not have a long arm but the blocks and trim I did myseld. When I get my second quilt back from the quilters I will show here. I should have it back by Tues.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-197334.bmp  
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 AM

I always loved quilts but was afraid to do one. I had a sewing machine and one day I just got started after I found some squares that were sewing together at a Estate sale and I finish it with a nice looking quilt. Not perfect but I did the finish work. The after that is HISTORY