Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do I downsize my stash? >
  • How do I downsize my stash?

• How do I downsize my stash?

Old 02-24-2012, 04:32 AM

Great, now you have folks all over the world wiping drool off their keyboards!! LOL !!
    Old 02-24-2012, 04:38 AM

The post office picks up right at your door for free!!!! and supplies boxes and envelopes for free.
    Originally Posted by harrishs
    I am needing more room for my vintage sewing machine collection and am thinking that room could come from selling some of my stash----I am going to try to post a picture of alittle over half my stash----cottons----(the wall is 16 foot long). I really am not able to ship out so what is the best way---ad in paper? on Craigs list? a garage sale is not really it, is it?......do I sell by the pound or yard or sack full? and how much is a fair price? I can't afford to give it all away but don't intend to get rich either. thanks for any suggestions you have......
    Old 02-24-2012, 05:04 AM

I would go with the guild idea. We want to keep you safe. Also alot of churches make lap quilts for nursing homes and baby quilts for hospitals. Im sure they would appreciate fabric at a bargain. My church makes them, and a couple of times a year all the ladies take a road trip to buy fabric and go out to lunch. They don't always depend on donations.
    Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 AM

If I was closer I would come shopping at your house.
    Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 AM

You can sell them here. If you use flat rate shipping boxes , it's much easier. Post photo, and yardage . List the price for the group plus the flat rate shipping. I would put some pre-coordinated bundles together till they fill a flat rate box or flat rate envelope. You could do color groupings or by style. I have been downsizing my stash by listing them here. It was quicker and easier than a garage sale, craigs list , or packing them up to sell at a guild ( many won't allow it if you ar not a member).
    Old 02-24-2012, 05:50 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I agree- stuff a med box- snap A PIC- post it here for a lump sum- call USPS to come pick up the boxes from your home

If the price is right you will sell all 15 in one day!!!
    Old 02-24-2012, 05:51 AM

I could only wish that I lived closer....then I could personally help you out! LOL
    Old 02-24-2012, 05:53 AM

contact your local quilt guild and see if they are making charity quilts. Ours here in Waco are making them for meals on wheels and for Kids that get displaced from their homes. It is the best way to thin your stash. They dont have to be fancy just blocks, panels. what ever you like.

have fun.
    Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 AM

I agree with selling it on the board, I have bought a lot of fabric from sellers on here and have found it easier for me.
    Pat
    Old 02-24-2012, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    You can sell them here. If you use flat rate shipping boxes , it's much easier. Post photo, and yardage . List the price for the group plus the flat rate shipping. I would put some pre-coordinated bundles together till they fill a flat rate box or flat rate envelope. You could do color groupings or by style. I have been downsizing my stash by listing them here. It was quicker and easier than a garage sale, craigs list , or packing them up to sell at a guild ( many won't allow it if you ar not a member).
    I agree also.flat rate boxes are the way to go.15 large boxes will add up fast to get it moving-without strangers in your home.