Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do I get rid of mineral deposits in my iron? >
  • How do I get rid of mineral deposits in my iron?

• How do I get rid of mineral deposits in my iron?

Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 PM

I place a baking rack on my ironing board with a kitchen towel on top of that. Fill your iron with iron and let it steam away the mineral deposits. May have to do this a few times; depending on the seriousness of the deposits.

You'll have a brand new iron again. I also use only distilled water in my iron.
    Old 07-13-2011, 06:54 PM

You can also try just putting water without vinegar, let it heat up and hold your steam button until empty a couple of times. This is what my Rowenta recommends. I do it over my bathroom sink. My Rowenta also recommends tap water versus distilled water. I have another iron, EuroPro, which recommends distilled water and I don't have a build up in that one. If you still have the book that came with your iron, see what kind of water it recommends. It does make a difference. If water only doesn't clear the problem then I'd try the vinegar. My coffee pot recommends a 50/50 solution. Then rinse with plain water a couple of times.
    Old 07-13-2011, 06:55 PM

Yes, use vinegar. Probably 1/3 mix.
    Old 07-13-2011, 07:18 PM
    Power Poster

I have to confess my unconventional method for de-scaling my iron. It voids warranties, so someone with a new iron may not want to try it! I tried vinegar first with very little success. (Note: This included vinegar full-strength, allowing it to sit, heating it up and steaming it, etc.)

Anyway, what I use is Iron Out, a product you can find in hardware stores. It is used to clean mineral deposits from water softeners, I think. It works pretty well for my iron. However, I still have to take a pin and pry off flecks of scale from around each hole. This is painstaking work and takes awhile, but is not hard to do.

Our water had (we have since moved) a lot of minerals in it, and my iron said the warranty was voided if I used distilled water in it (something about needing ions??? should ask dh about that.....). Maybe it wouldn't have had such a build-up if I'd ignored the info that came with the iron and used distilled water.
    Old 07-13-2011, 07:35 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by VickyS
    Use distilled water to help dissolve down the heavy deposits that build up from time to time.

I still use vinegar or lemon juice to get the heavy stuff out, but sometimes just using distilled in our heavy water area still acts as if I used the vinegar/lemon juice - it cuts up all but the most heavily baked on stuff. So I switch back and forth between the two to avoid etching the metal in my iron/ teapot or the plastic in my cups.
    some irons say to NOT use distilled water..my Maytag does...
    Old 07-13-2011, 07:36 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I have to confess my unconventional method for de-scaling my iron. It voids warranties, so someone with a new iron may not want to try it! I tried vinegar first with very little success. (Note: This included vinegar full-strength, allowing it to sit, heating it up and steaming it, etc.)

Anyway, what I use is Iron Out, a product you can find in hardware stores. It is used to clean mineral deposits from water softeners, I think. It works pretty well for my iron. However, I still have to take a pin and pry off flecks of scale from around each hole. This is painstaking work and takes awhile, but is not hard to do.

Our water had (we have since moved) a lot of minerals in it, and my iron said the warranty was voided if I used distilled water in it (something about needing ions??? should ask dh about that.....). Maybe it wouldn't have had such a build-up if I'd ignored the info that came with the iron and used distilled water.
    just use regular bottled water..NOT distilled!
    Old 07-13-2011, 07:56 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    just use regular bottled water..NOT distilled!
    Funny, I never thought of that!
    Old 07-14-2011, 03:14 AM

I have a filter on the water dispensor on my fridge ,I havn't had any problem since using the flitered water.
    Old 07-14-2011, 11:57 AM

My new iron said to not use distilled water either. I still do.