Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do I make this border? >
  • How do I make this border?

• How do I make this border?

Old 02-02-2018, 01:19 PM

Default How do I make this border?

Can someone give me the math to make this border? Also does it have a name? I'm no closer now than I was when I started.

TIA,
    Darren

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588300[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_0924.jpg  
    Old 02-02-2018, 01:40 PM

Quarter-Square Triangle border? Or 90 degree border?

Last edited by EasyPeezy; 02-02-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    Old 02-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Quarter-Square Triangle border?
    Sounds good...at least that's how it's constructed.....
    Old 02-02-2018, 02:43 PM
    Power Poster

Not sure what math you're looking for. You would need to figure out the size you need for the border and then figure what size the triangles need to be to fit the quilt. You could have made this with flying geese, but that would mean a seam down the center of each white piece. A flying geese unit is half as tall as it is wide, if that helps.
    Old 02-02-2018, 02:58 PM
    Power Poster

Looks like equilateral triangles to me (60 degree triangles, each side the same length). There are specialty rulers that help cut the triangles, such as this one from Creative Grids:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017RGKCC/

Measure the side of your quilt. Method 1: Probably the easiest way to figure out the finished size you need for the triangles is to cut a piece of freezer paper that length. Fold it in half, then in half again, and keep folding until you get to a reasonable size for the triangle base.

Be aware that the sides of the triangle will be different than the triangle's height. The above method helps determine the side of the triangle. The next method determines the height of the triangle (which will be the width of your border).

Method 2: Decide how wide you want the border to be, then use one of the specialty rulers to cut triangles that will finish at that width.

Use as many triangles as will fit inside your quilt top edge, and fill in the rest of the space with the background fabric. In other words, you would be floating the strip of colored triangles on each side of the border, filling in the corners and any excess space along the border edge with the background fabric. Without floating, it is unlikely you can get an exact number of triangles to fit your border without having to cut weird widths of fabric.

Here is a link to a video demo of the Creative Grids ruler (there are similar rulers by other manufacturers, used the same way): https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...0&action=click

You may want to heavily starch fabric before cutting the triangles. Only the base of each triangle will be on the straight-of-grain; the other two sides will be bias and will be sewn to similar bias sides of adjoining triangles. You want the straight-of-grain sides to be the raw edges of your border.

Last edited by Prism99; 02-02-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    Old 02-02-2018, 03:14 PM

You first need to figure out how long your border will be. Then, divide to get an odd number of triangles (because you would want the ends to be the same colour. Let's say that your edge is 39 inches--that would give you 13 of one colour and 11 of the other. The edge of the triangle that touches the top would finish at 3 inches. You could cut squares at 3 7/8 inches and cut diagonally, but I think it would be better to cut a square at 7 1/4 inches and cut diagonally both ways. That way you don't have any bias on the edges. I am pretty sure that Quilterscache has something like this. I'm also pretty sure that I have it in a book someplace.
    Old 02-02-2018, 03:49 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Looks like equilateral triangles to me (60 degree triangles, each side the same length).<snip>
    Really? The bottom points of the white triangles and the top points of the green ones look like right angles to me. But it's hard to tell on the screen. More information is needed!
    Old 02-02-2018, 03:59 PM
    Power Poster

Darren, I'm terrible at figuring these things out but the others will help you.
    I just wanted to say hi !!
    Old 02-02-2018, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
    Really? The bottom points of the white triangles and the top points of the green ones look like right angles to me. But it's hard to tell on the screen. More information is needed!
    If it was an equilateral triangle, all three sides of the triangle would be same length
    as all angles would be 60 degrees. In this picture, the base is longer than the two
    diagonal sides. If you Google 60 degree quilt you will see that it looks quite a bit
    different.

GingerK, that's a good idea to cut a square then cut the diagonals to avoid the
    bias edges.
    Old 02-02-2018, 04:19 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster
    You're right. Apparently my eyes are not very keen when it comes to measurements. I had to hold a ruler up to my screen and measure 2 unsewn sides of the triangle to figure out they weren't equal.