Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do I... >
  • How do I...

• How do I...

Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 AM

I am very new to quilting, also to sewing. I have just finished a twin quilt top, got it sandwiched and am trying to std. When it is done, how to I trim it evenly so I can bind it. I know you have to square off the corners, but how do I lay it out to have the sides all trimmed evenly? I am totally boggled by the thoughts of this. I need to get this done before Christmas as it is a gift for my dd who will be leaving for college on Jan 2 and I won't see her for at least six months. The quilt is so she will have something to wrap around her when she misses her mom.
    Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 AM

I use the largest table I have, and just slide my mat and ruler along. It helps if you have a large square ruler to help keep square.
    Old 12-07-2010, 10:26 AM
    Power Poster

I usually measure my quilted top before I do any trimming, just to get an idea of how even (or off) the borders are.

Then I clean off my table and lay the quilt with one corner on the cutting mat. (gotta start somewhere, right?) I use two rulers for the squaring process: A large square one, and a long rectangular one. I lay the square one on the corner of the quilt and look at the lines going in both directions. Usually, I find a straight line on the border to get my bearings because it is important to me to have reasonable symmetry.

When I have picked my "guideline" I simply trim the edge in one direction. I generally leave the top and slide the cutting mat along the edge. Use the edge of the already cut part to align the ruler for the next piece on the straight-away. As soon as you near the next corner, I switch back to the square template. Repeat til you have all 4 sides done.

It's a good idea to zigzag the edges down -using the walking foot - before adding the binding, but you don't have to.
    Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 AM

You can also use your floor (assume you have enough space), crawling around with rulers and mat(s).
    good luck
    Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 AM

I lay mine on the cutting table and run my largest ruler along the edge....I ALWAYS leave half the ruler on the already cut edge....to line it up. If it has a border, I use the seam and adjust until the seam is on a line -- whether it's the opposite side of the ruler or a line in the ruler. ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure the quilt is not falling over any edge of the table. This pulls the quilt out of alignment. It may LOOK straight, but more than likely, it's not.
    Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 AM

if you can Call a nearby Quilt shop and ask them if you can use thier classroom to do this,they usually have tables set up large enough
    Old 12-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I can do this. I keep telling myself. I usually lurk here on the board, but all the encouragement everyone gives to everyone inspired me to get this done. (I had promised my daughter a quilt or crochet afghan ever since she started college 3 years ago.) You all gave me the confidence to try and actually follow through and "git er done". I am sure I will have a question once i get to the binding part. Once again THANK YOU!!!! everyone for all your help and support.
    Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 AM

What she said

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
    You can also use your floor (assume you have enough space), crawling around with rulers and mat(s).
    good luck
    Old 12-07-2010, 10:56 AM
    Cyn

The biggest problem is just doing it! It's more important she gets a quilt from you for hugs than how square it is! That's my take for what it's worth :)