Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you assemble blocks? >
  • How do you assemble blocks?

• How do you assemble blocks?

Old 05-01-2010, 05:48 AM

When I cut out blocks for My French Braid, I layed them in stacks on a large cookie sheet. Worked great for me because I could move it when needed.
    Old 05-01-2010, 06:05 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by BKrenning
    I also cut & piece 1 block to make sure the cutting instructions are correct. Then I'll cut until I get bored--piece until I run out--cut some more--piece--etc. If I cut it all & put it in bags, it will stay that way until my kids clean up for the estate sale! Out of sight--out of mind--forever!
    This is how I do it too. You avoid mistakes in the instructions, mistakes in your fabric choice etc.
    I also find if I cut or sew for too long, I get sloppy.
    Old 05-01-2010, 06:07 AM
    Power Poster

Sometimes I like to have everything cut, and other times I want very much to see what my block will look like, so I go ahead and finish one block and hang it up for inspiration. That is what I am doing right now with the green and purple one that I am making for my sister.
    Old 05-01-2010, 06:32 AM

I cut it all out first - then sew, chain piecing, press, chain piece, press....I press on an ironing board set up in my quilting room - so I'm not sitting forever. I do like to sew a complete block, or two to see what it should all look like. I stop when my eyes get blurry or I start to sweat - Maybe I'm having hot flashes?? My seam allowances stay more consistent if I sew in longer stretches like this. I have not run in to any errors in the cutting instructions...yet.
    Old 05-01-2010, 06:48 AM

Cut a few, then sew. I can't wait to get started. When I'm finishing up a quilt, I can't wait to finish so I can get started on the next. I know I won't live long enough to make all the quilts I want to make. Tick tock.
    Old 05-01-2010, 07:05 AM

I generally cut enough for half the blocks. I clip them together with the hair clips,( which is great to use instead of pins) put them and the pattern in a shoe box. When I go to my manfriends house I take my "Featherweight Bertha" and I'm ready to sew. I have a set of rulers, a cutting mat, scissors, a rotary cutter and thread at his house and that way I can do my own thing when he is occupied with his own things. Cutting all the pieces is a disaster for me because I sometimes figure wrong and cut way too many at once. You should do what is comfortable for you. Cut a few, Sew a few.........Or?
    Old 05-01-2010, 07:41 AM
    Dix

It depends on the size I am doing. On a baby quilt (I have several lately)I cut every thing and stack marked with post it notes. Then it is ready to grab and use. I like to chain piece also.
    If it is a queen I make a block and check for size and color combinations. I then usea big pizza box to store them in. If you are on the move, place a piece of batting on top of the pieces, and they stay put!
    Old 05-01-2010, 08:32 AM

I agree, make one block to make sure it is right.
    I always use shortcut methods for cutting HST's and FG. Strips for 4 and 9 patches.
    Chain piecing is so much faster so use it all the time also.
    Saves time and thread.
    Old 05-01-2010, 09:52 AM

Hi, I usually cut enough fabric for one block (like most of our friends who have replied). If the block goes together well, I then cut enough for the whole quilt. I put all the pieces into a plastic box (like rubbermaid totes) with a lid(so the cats can"t play with them), so I know where all the pieces are for a particular project. That helps me try to keep organized>
    Old 05-01-2010, 10:51 AM

I do not cut all of my fabric either. Too easy to make a mistake and waste good fabric. I cut enough for the first block, put it together to test first. Then I cut enough for a few more blocks and so forth.