Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you assemble blocks? >
  • How do you assemble blocks?

• How do you assemble blocks?

Old 05-01-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1quilt_gma
    Many patterns start out by telling you to cut all the pieces you need first, then start putting them together. I am wondering how many of you do that. Of course it depends on the pattern, but I am talking about ones that are made up of only one or two repeated blocks.

The reason I am asking this is because I am contemplating making a quilt that has A LOT of repetitive cutting. Sometimes I like to cut enough for several blocks and then sew them before going on. I am not proficient enough to try stacking fabric one on top of another and cutting. That may be in the future, but not now.

I would be concerned that I would misplace some pieces already cut. If there are a lot of colors/pieces in the block, I might get overwhelmed and confused as to where I am.

How do you handle the logistics of this? Would you cut all the pieces and then do the assembly type thingy (I can’t remember the term…) on your machine? Or out of sheer boredom, or aching hands, would you change your activity?
    Baggies were invented for this!! I usually make up one block before I cut everything, just to check the directions and cutting instructions. Pattern and book publishers have been known to err. But if everything is OK, I got ahead and cut, but put the pieces in baggies (or the appropriate size zip lock) and label it. I also will put a bright sticky note on the pattern if i have to stop and might forget where I am when I come back.
    Old 05-01-2010, 06:20 PM

Oh, I can see that cutting out one and putting together is a great idea! I too use baggies! different size ones.. get them at the dollar store (great price) :)
    Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 AM

The last class I took,I cut everything out in different sizes only to find when I sewed them together, I hated the pattern. I put it away and never looked at it again and did not complete the quilt. Now I will do one block and see how it looks first!!!!!!!!!
    Old 05-02-2010, 03:55 AM

If I do a sampler quilt, I cut a block and then sew it, cut the next, etc. If I am making a quilt with repeated blocks I usually cut them all at the same time.
    Old 05-02-2010, 04:23 AM
    Power Poster

The idea of making test block(s) is a good one.

Most of the time the instructions are good - but not always -
    Took me a while to realize that the instructions are not always "perfect" -

Most of the time my fabric choices are good, too - but not always -
    Old 05-02-2010, 04:28 AM

It depends on the pattern. If it is scrappy, I cut as I go along. If it is a certain pattern, and it tells you what to cut, I cut all the pieces. I label them and keep them in baggies, if there are lots of pieces.
    Old 05-02-2010, 04:36 AM
    Power Poster

If I do start something, I try to put all the components into one container -
    then if I have to put it aside, I can find everything

I also try to put fabrics together that I had in mind for a particular project into one container.
    Old 05-02-2010, 04:41 AM

I always make a test block using fabric from my stash. Not because I'm worried about cutting instructions, but whether or not I can even do the block, This way I can practice making blocks correctly. Sometimes it takes a few trys to get them right, so I just make a tablerunner out of them. This way, I figure things out and don't waste the fabric for the quilt. I will also know by then if I like the pattern. If I don't I get rid of the pattern and use the fabric for another project. Then I don't feel like I wasted a lot of money.
    Old 05-02-2010, 05:10 AM

Raptureready...The block you show with your signature...is it from Quilter's Cashe? Just love it and think I want to make this some day. So colorful! Julie in NM
    Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 AM

I agree with quiltmom04. I usually cut all of pattern pieces and put them in baggies. I am sometimes interrupted and use sticky notes also. I strated this method when I was taking classes and had to bring the pieces to class ready to sew. Works for me.