Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you build your stash? >
  • How do you build your stash?

• How do you build your stash?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:26 PM

Yes, that is the definition of a fabric-a-holic! We buy fabrics just because-------we love the print/color, it is too good a sale to pass by, I have just the project for it at home (then it gets put in a long waiting line behind other projects and eventually, you decide you didn't want to make it after all), You bought extra just because it was the end of the bolt and got even more discount to take it all, --- get the picture? Also, when following a pattern's yardage requirements, there is usually at least 1/4 - 1/2 yard or more left over (especially if your like me, I "squeeze" every inch of space when cutting to save fabric). Then there are the basic blendables and tone on tones you just know you will use someday in several quilts-and they are on sale-so you just buy them! I am SO guilty of all these "excuses" to buy fabric without a specific project in mind, or just because----- and I don't offer any apologies for it! LOL
    Old 12-29-2010, 01:27 PM

When i see a fabric that i like, i buy as much of it as i can afford. Although my New Year's is to use up all i have before i buy any more! I have WAY to much and no more room to store it :lol:
    Old 12-29-2010, 01:27 PM
    Power Poster

Let's see............... since I'm addicted to fabric I get whatever I can, wherever I can and as much as I can!!! :D:D
    Seriously though, I have a stash from many years of quilting and sewing. I got rid of a lot of it this year b/c I was too overwhelmed by all of it. I really want to pare down and am trying. I haven't bought a piece of anything in a month. That's really good for me! :D:D:D:D:D
    Old 12-29-2010, 01:29 PM

When I find a fabric I like I like to get a yard or 2...if it's on sale - I may buy 3 or 4 yards....sometimes I may just get a FQ or so...I just like to add bit of this and bit of that..picking up things that pull my attention - if there something I think would be a great filler fabric...even if perhaps it's not my most favourite - I may still pick up some of those pieces in a sale section...then it's so much fun just pulling from different stash pieces to put together projects.
    Old 12-29-2010, 01:29 PM

Bren I went to tag/garage sales looking for quilting fabric. I hit the jackpot at one place she was destashing!! the material was all cotton!! I do go to Joanns and buy a yard or two a month of fabric I like the pattern on, I use the 40 percent off that comes in the monthly ads.
    Old 12-29-2010, 01:46 PM

I'm with the person who said, "any way I can"!!! Me too... I have even found myself eyeballing clothing in the closet :roll:
    Maybe just maybe it is possible to have too much fabric, but I doubt it!

Lori
    Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Lynnejean
    anyway I can! LOL I shop garage sales, estate sales, and junk malls its amazing how much fabric you can find there really cheap!
    I do the same.. I also buy lots when there's huge sales at fabric stores
    Old 12-29-2010, 02:08 PM

I don't buy unless I have coupons or it's on sale at Joann's. Then I'll buy whatever hits me and plan later on what I'll use it for. Could stay on the shelf for yrs but it eventually gets used in a top or as a backing.
    Old 12-29-2010, 02:54 PM

sale sale sale
    Old 12-29-2010, 03:14 PM

My stash~ like what I used for the Storm and Sea, was batiks I collected for a couple years. I watch for sales, and our LQS has 20%off if you finish the bolt.
    I can see the quality of the fabric I am getting there. I have a few on line places I have purchased and was very happy, but a few I wouldn't ever purchase from again.
    Today I went to Hancocks, I rarely go there, but they had 70% off Christmas fabric. I am planning on pillow cases.
    Enjoy the Art!