Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you build your stash? >
  • How do you build your stash?

• How do you build your stash?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Exciting answers from everyone....Thanks, now i dont feel so bad just buying stuff and then when i come home and my wonderful hubby says "what are you gonna make with that?" I look at him with this dumb founded look of I dont know I just liked it:)
    Old 12-29-2010, 06:04 PM

Hi Brenda,
    Exactly what you said. We see something we like and don't want to miss it so we buy it. Also most of us find it hard to resist a bargain or a fabric sale. How much, is a personal choice.
    Don't forget to check out the classifieds here. I've bought from several ladies and have been very happy with the price and top quality of the fabrics.
    Welcome to the best forum on the net. Everyone here is very encouraging and will help where ever they can. Lots of info on links that are safe.
    Old 12-29-2010, 06:09 PM

Hi Lori,
    Well you are only eyeballing your own clothes at the moment. Wait until you start looking at the clothing of perfect strangers. My best friend & I have found ourselves doing this at times. Then you are really addicted.
    Happy Quilting.
    Old 12-29-2010, 06:20 PM

My stash is not very large compared to some on this board. I basically keep it to 5 of the large plastic totes that will fit under a twin size bed. I also try to "deal" with the scraps from each project before I start another. I am mostly a scrappie quilter , so I like to build my stash with fat quarters and layer cakes. and jelly rolls, esspecially when they are on sale!( Conneccting Threads is my favorite site for pre cuts)
    Old 12-29-2010, 06:53 PM
    mim

When I moved a year ago I had a storage building with hundereds of books and yards of fabrics. Collected for 30 years. I gave a lot away, sold some and donated to the SA for their spring fabric sale. I still ended up with 50 or so yards and as many books.

I swapped FQs with quilters for years so really built up a stash. Plus swapping 6 1/2" squares - which I still do.

It is hard to pass up a sale of 50% and 70% off
    Old 12-29-2010, 07:13 PM

I buy off Craigslist and grab them on Freecycle. Or scrap bags. I can't buy any more fabric for awhile! :-P
    Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 PM

I use to buy fabric just because I liked it. I put it in my stash just waiting for the right pattern to come along. Unfortunately, I still have most of that fabric (bought at least 8 years ago!) and wonder why I ever bought it! What made me think I liked it back then is beyond me because now I don't like it and some of it is "cheap" (I got most of it at WalMart) and ugly. I don't even like it to use it in a scrappy.

Now I buy fabric (mostly Moda) when I have a specific project in mind.
    Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 PM

I started by buying clearance fabric, since I was just learning, I did not want to spend much money. I also checked rummage sales.

As I got better, i started buying fabric I liked, or fabric specifically to be used together.

Then as I started making more quilts, I always seemed to have left over fabric which got my stash built up fairly well.
    Old 12-29-2010, 07:50 PM
    Kas

My stash started with leftover yardage from quilt projects. I used to buy WAY too much because I was afraid I wouldn't have enough. I have to say that I have only used all of only a couple of fabrics and miss them so bad! Isn't that funny? One was a purple batik and the other was a creamy white with blue clouds in outline. It was great for kid's quilts.

Now I mainly buy what I can't resist and hope I find a project for it! I should only buy for a specific project because I don't usually feel much of my stash matches what I have bought for a project. But I do like to pet my fabrics!
    Old 12-29-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Brendat0426
    Exciting answers from everyone....Thanks, now i dont feel so bad just buying stuff and then when i come home and my wonderful hubby says "what are you gonna make with that?" I look at him with this dumb founded look of I dont know I just liked it:)
    Quick, general, covers all types/colors of fabric, answer:"A QUILT" and always say it with a confident smile. Works every time.