Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you calculate yardage needed for backing? >
  • How do you calculate yardage needed for backing?

• How do you calculate yardage needed for backing?

Old 01-07-2020, 12:45 PM

I use an app on my phone called Quilting Calc. It also does borders and bindings estimates.

Before cutting, I will put pins as markers to make sure there is enough fabric. You need to know the amount of extra fabric needed if you use a long-arm quilter.

If the fabric has a large repeat, you will need extra for matching the repeat on the seams.

When I seam the two fabric widths, I make sure the selvage is running on the same side of both pieces. Meaning that it runs on the "left" side of piece # 1 and then on the "left" side of piece # 2. I want the design to run across the two pieces especially for directional prints.

If the selvage is on the "right", it goes on the "right side of both seamed pieces. Hope that helps!
    Old 01-07-2020, 01:24 PM

I use the app also and use fabric I have on hand and piece the backing. It's a good way to use all those big prints or fabric I bought a while ago and no longer love it. One of those "what was I thinking" purchases.
    Old 01-07-2020, 03:28 PM

rvsfan..thanks for posting that site ! I know I will use it a lot.
    Old 01-07-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K
    I use an app on my phone called Quilting Calc. It also does borders and bindings estimates.

Before cutting, I will put pins as markers to make sure there is enough fabric. You need to know the amount of extra fabric needed if you use a long-arm quilter.

If the fabric has a large repeat, you will need extra for matching the repeat on the seams.

When I seam the two fabric widths, I make sure the selvage is running on the same side of both pieces. Meaning that it runs on the "left" side of piece # 1 and then on the "left" side of piece # 2. I want the design to run across the two pieces especially for directional prints.

If the selvage is on the "right", it goes on the "right side of both seamed pieces. Hope that helps!
    I also use the Robert Kaufmann quilting calculator. Also good for figuring out needs for binding. Now if only I could find a sashing calculator....
    Old 01-07-2020, 06:33 PM

As a Long Arm quilter, it is easiest to make the the seams on backing horizontal and 1/2” wide. An additional 3” minimum (4” is better) allows for the attachment of clamps. Using blocks or combined pieces of fabric to create the right width is fine but again, 1/2” seams with a small stitch length and pressed open. These are easier to keep flat and lay smooth. Quarter inch seams pressed to one side create added bulk and can flip over the opposite direction halfway across. I use yardages for most of my own quilts. If it’s large I get 3 widths. Often the extra is used for binding.
    Old 01-08-2020, 05:33 AM

I use the Robert.Kaufman app on my phone! I don’t love wide backing as a rule and I use yardage from my stash for the backing. It is easy to measure width and length and make sure to include seam allowances. I make my backs 8 to 12” wider than length and width.
    Old 01-08-2020, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Christine-
    I am making a quilt top that will be 88” x 90”, how do I calculate the amount of yardage needed to make backing for it? I don’t want to buy wide backing, I want to use yardage I have on hand.
    Robert Kaufman has a quilting calculator app you can download. It allows for seam allowances and will change the width to length... to see which direction uses less fabric. You can also email the results to yourself for quick shopping reference. It also measures up to 4 borders for a quilt, binding, etc.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:10 PM

As I'm the type of person who never uses a top sheet... that's what I use for my quilt backs unless its a baby quilt. Then all that great fabric doesn't just collect dust in my linen closet.

The other thing I do sometimes it to use UFO blocks in my backing. It helps stretch yardage too and uses up blocks you wouldn't normally use.
    Old 01-08-2020, 03:17 PM
    Power Poster

I quilt on my Juki TL98QE 9" throat machine. The way I sandwich my layers I only allow 1-1/2" all around. I have been using up lots of my stash and now usually buy wide backings. I donate or give away most of my quilts and wide backings speed up the quilt making.
    Old 01-08-2020, 03:26 PM

Here's a link to a website I use to calculate backings, bindings, etc.
    http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/Calculators.php