Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you decide which features are important? >
  • How do you decide which features are important?

• How do you decide which features are important?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:51 AM

Default How do you decide which features are important?

I know this is a matter of personal opinion, and it might seem silly, but I'm trying to decide between two similar machines - the Brother DreamCreator VM5100 and the DreamWeaver 6200D. They are very similar, but there are two things that are on the 6200D that aren't on the 5100 - the V-Sonic pen and the laser guide. The price difference between the two is about $1500.

On the one hand, I think it's silly to spend $1500 for a touch pen and a laser line, but on the other hand when I have asked others who have the 6200 how much they use those features, they say they use them "all the time." "Couldn't live without it." "It makes everything SO much easier." And so forth and so on.

I can afford to buy either machine, but I'm not sure that I WANT to put the extra money toward what amounts to two extra features I'm not sure how often I'll use. That $1500 could be a new sewing cabinet and a chair, or fabric, or embroidery software, or a combination of all of these. Still, I can't deny ... I'm an 80s gal and lasers excite me ... ;-)

At this point, I'm about ready to put both names in a hat and draw one out to choose! Either would do a fabulous job of what I need done, so I don't think there's a "bad" choice here ... not even sure there's a "wrong" choice ... how does one decide if the extra features are worth the additional cost?
    Old 02-27-2014, 08:02 AM

Have you driven each machine? Have you tried out the two extra features to see if they are something you would use all the time? That should make your decision easier...maybe... (I can't advice about the features, as I don't even know what a touch pen or laser line is. )

Dina
    Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 AM
    Power Poster

I'd call the dealer and see if you can schedule an hour or so to try out the 2 machines. Bring a couple of cut blocks and piece both of them. Maybe a small sandwich to try quilting. It really sounds like a personal preference, so YOU need to try them both.
    Old 02-27-2014, 08:15 AM

I've spent hours with both machines, over several sessions, and they are so similar with the exception of these two things, one doesn't stand out from the other for me. I love them both and would likely be happy with either one.
    Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I'd call the dealer and see if you can schedule an hour or so to try out the 2 machines. Bring a couple of cut blocks and piece both of them. Maybe a small sandwich to try quilting. It really sounds like a personal preference, so YOU need to try them both.
    I totally agree with this. There is nothing like using the features (make sure they show you how they are used and try using them) to make up your mind. If they won't let you do that I would go to another Dealer. I work part time in a Bernina shop and when my friends ask what to buy I tell them to try them all. Once you have it narrowed down take some supplies and go into the shop for some sewing. If they won't help you before you buy your machine, they certainly won't after.
    Old 02-27-2014, 08:27 AM
    Administrator

i just read the description of the two additional features.
    i would absolutely go for the DreamWeaver 6200D.
    anything that improved my chances of quilting a straight line gets my vote.
    anything that improved my chances of getting the embroidery down in the precisely right place is also worth its weight in gold.
    Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 AM

You can afford to go with the more elaborate machine, so $ isn't a problem. Then, since you have played with both, go with the one with the laser.

My only other consideration would be size of each and how easy it is to move/lift each.
    Old 02-27-2014, 09:00 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Skratchie
    .............. not even sure there's a "wrong" choice ... how does one decide if the extra features are worth the additional cost?
    Definitely take some time to test drive both machines, so you can get a better feel as to the differences. Be sure to have a frank discussion with your dealer as to WHY one vs. the other? Ask him/her why you should buy each? or why not? and whether there are any differences other than those two features?

The extra two features ... get them to give you demos and let you try out those two features to see how you feel about them.

You asked ... how do you decide?? ... with logic and knowledge!!
    ... NOT with the lucky draw you suggested.
    Whatever the outcome would be, you will always second guess yourself on it.

One thing that I have learned ... I usually buy one step above what I think I need. Because these newer machines do so many things for us, they tend to encourage us to sew more and do more, so chances are you will want an upgrade later. By buying a step above what you think is needed, you can be happy for a much longer time!

Last edited by QuiltE; 02-27-2014 at 09:02 AM.
    Old 02-27-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat
    You can afford to go with the more elaborate machine, so $ isn't a problem. Then, since you have played with both, go with the one with the laser.

My only other consideration would be size of each and how easy it is to move/lift each.

They are both big machines and heavy. But I am a very practical person and I'm not sure that the laser is worth the money. I CAN afford both machines, but with the less expensive one, I can buy a new sewing table and a chair (which I desperately need) and put some money into an account for fabric and other quilty stuff. I don't have an endless supply of money (who does?) and buying the more expensive machine would mean giving up other stuff I want/need, at least for a while.

My mom has the less expensive machine so I'm going back to her house this weekend to take another look (it's very difficult to find a dealer who has a demo model of that machine available). As I said, I know I would love either ... my decision is more about maximizing my investment than anything, I think.
    Old 02-27-2014, 09:04 AM

If you would use the extra features, they are worth the extra cost. That's the question-- will you use it?