Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you decide what to do next? >
  • How do you decide what to do next?

• How do you decide what to do next?

Old 09-18-2013, 01:45 PM

I have so many UFO's I decided after I finish something, I have to finish a UFO before I can start another quilt from scratch. Finish something old before starting something new!!
    Old 09-18-2013, 01:47 PM

I have so many UFO's. I finally decided that after I finish a quilt, I have to finish a UFO, before starting another quilt. Finish something old before starting something new!
    Old 09-18-2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    My problem is not STARTING a project, but FINISHING one!! Seems like once I see how the colors and blocks work together, I'm done with that one and am on to another. So many UFOs I'm not even allowed to participate in the Queen of UFO challenges at our guild!

Then again, I remind myself......there are many great artists who left work unfinished, and no one denies their genius!!

I think the point is not always to finish, but to "do"....and enjoy the process whatever it is.

Jan in VA
    Oh...we must be sisters! My UFO's are soooo out of hand. I make rules to finish one before I start a new project & just flat break the rule. When I got to 30, I refused to keep counting. And, I am not including any kits that I have that have not had a stitch shown on them. If I did, I would be over 100.

For some of the UFO's, I have a few blocks done, some only need binding, some have just a few seams sewn and I switch to a new project. Someone PLEASE help me! And, everything I have finished I have given away, so I don't even have a quilt to cover me at night. How in the world do I break this trend...which has been ongoing on for several years?
    Old 09-18-2013, 02:47 PM
    Power Poster

Oh dear ... I am the wrong person to ask this question of ... LOL! But, if I bought all the fabric I try to work on that one. I am knee deep in holiday projects right now.
    Old 09-18-2013, 03:14 PM

Seeing how I am a one-quilt-at-a-time person, I don't really have a problem with UFOs. In my mind I have a list of quilts and I just move onto the next one. Of course, I'm always adding to the list and the priority of the list changes, but I usually know what the next one will be. So many great ideas out there that the list is always growing!
    Old 09-18-2013, 03:21 PM

I have at least 6 projects in the works at all times. I decide on what to start next depending on the status of the projects I'm already working on. I like to have hand work to do, machine sewing, cutting, etc. It is always fun to see what project jumps out at me when I'm ready for a new one.
    Old 09-18-2013, 03:55 PM

Usually, by the time I finish one project, another has been started that was requested, or a gift to give, or something like that. I will also be swayed by a certain color over others (eg. took a long time to finish that last blue with lime green- I need to look at something more subtle now, or more traditional.) I will also rotate between something complex and something really simple, or something with minimal quilting versus more complicated quilting. I do try to challenge myself with something on each project though- a new concept in piecing or new stitching in the quilting, etc. Just go with the flow....
    Old 09-18-2013, 10:28 PM

I have a box into which I place paper information about any project I see and want to do. Information. Name of pattern where found and which page. These are folded up and stay in the box. I pull one out and if dont fancy it put it back and try another. Until I find one I will do.
    Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by nannyrick.com
    Is it just me or do any of you waste a lot of time deciding what to do next? I have so many patterns I want to do but, when it comes time to get at them, I,m overwhelmed. I have a lot of UFOS, but am always anxious to start something new. I spend so many $$$ on patterns and books and they just sit there and then I come across something better that I like and end up just procrastinating. Oh dear "what should I do", LOL.
    Some things have to be completed, baby quilts, gifts and such. Outside of that, the projects themselves yell at me to do them
    Old 09-19-2013, 03:18 AM

If I can't figure out what to do or make, I'll pull out a bunch of strips and start another string quilt. Keeps me from having to make any decisions, so that's why I'll allways have a whole bunch of UFO's