Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you define  CREATIVE? >
  • How do you define CREATIVE?

• How do you define CREATIVE?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:55 AM

Reminds me of a story I heard....a little boy who loved to draw. He'd do his own thing & loved what he did. Then, he went to school and his teacher told him to draw a picture of a tree, the sky and sun. He was happy and excited to get to draw and proceeded to draw his picture. The teacher came up to him, observing his work and said he'd done it all wrong. Tree trunks were brown, straight and rectangular. The leaves created a 'green circle' that connected to the trunk. Sky was blue with a yellow circle for the sun.
    The little boy was sad but he followed directions and made a new drawing like the teacher asked. He didn't enjoy drawing any longer.
    A few years later, in another class, he was asked to draw a 'tree and sky' picture again, so he went to work on what he knew was 'right'. His new teacher was surprised his lack of creativity and artistic development. She asked if he'd ever seen a tree and sky that looked like that. He said 'no' but that's what he was taught was right. She told him to draw a tree and sky that was the most beautiful he could imagine. He stared at his blank paper but couldn't begin to draw what he could imagine because he only knew what was right.
    The lesson is, don't be led astray by those who are not qualified to define creativity for you. Define it from your heart alone!
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:00 AM

Creative=Marked by the ability to create;Inventive;Imaginative according to Webster-------Imagination is a true gift if we're lucky to retain it after adolesence' life is truly colorful and all things remain new and exciting and our child like enthusiasm makes all things possible according to Chicken Soup for the Soul -------So I say follow your own little drummer down the path of wonder leave the boring path to your DH we need people like him to keep our feet close to the ground :lol: :lol:
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Julianna
    Thanks everyone for the affirmations and smiles. :) My DH is actually very creative (by yours and my definition) in his work, hobbies, outdoors, traveling, building, writing, painting, etc. He just dosen't think I am. I told him of your thoughts and he finally conceeded, just a tiny bit, that I might be somewhat resourceful. He said that because I am wrong (again) that I don't go buy all the items needed to make something but rather use and adapt what I have. He spends whatever it takes, I try not to spend anything. As long as I know my opinion counts with you all I'm content. We are all very creative! :) Thanks again.
    When we were getting ready to build this house, we lookes at model houses and at house plans and I never saw one that I liked. I finally found one hubby like and I took a pencil to it and move this over here, and that over there and added something else and erased a thing or two. His respose is "what's wrong with you? Anyone else can just accept a house plan as it is, why can't you?"

Now all this was coming from a man who can go out to his shop and make a trailer (for hauling) with no blueprint. He knows what basics he has to use and he knows the limitations. But he CAN and WILL change everything else to suit himself or to suit the person he is building the trailer for.

For some reason, he couldn't see what I was doing was what he was doing.

BTW, the house plan I ended up with has made me happy the last 24 years. The builder suggest one change in the bathroom----very logical reason. There are only two things I'd change if I could. One is the placement of our wood burning stove. Can't happen now because of the masonry chimney. The second is placement of the front porch lights--------which irritate him but not enough for him to move them.
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by lillybeck
    Creative = Create meaning that something is made not following a pattern of something else and if you follow a pattern or a recipe you are not creative but following somone else's creativilty.

God CREATED heave and earth he did not follow someone else's pattern.
    GMTA! I used God as my orginal source of "create", too,
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by kateyb
    I think your husband must have a mathematical mind - the type that could be an engineer. They have to follow a certain amount of "rules" or it doesn't work.
    I beg to differ-------------to be creative sometimes you need a mathematical mind. I can draw my own patterns------because I can do the math.

but I do know what you mean.
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    I think your husband must have a mathematical mind - the type that could be an engineer. They have to follow a certain amount of "rules" or it doesn't work.
    I beg to differ-------------to be creative sometimes you need a mathematical mind. I can draw my own patterns------because I can do the math.

I agree CrannieAnnie as I taught math for years and am still creative. But I much preferred teaching Sciences - more fun and our project were very creative.
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 AM

Creative is to create lol think that means doing your own design not following set rules.
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 AM

i think creative is anytime you make something yourself. even if you use a pattern some of yourself is in it.
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Julianna
    Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

I agree CrannieAnnie as I taught math for years and am still creative. But I much preferred teaching Sciences - more fun and our project were very creative.
    Maybe I think that way because my dad had a very mathematical mind and was an engineering type. He had very little artistic creativity. I did not do well in math but can do geometric things - just don't ask me to explain it mathematically.
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 AM

Creativity is "doing your own thing" in my opinion.