Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you do it? >
  • How do you do it?

• How do you do it?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:45 AM

Default How do you do it?

Hi everyone! This is all very new to me, and I'm having a lot of fun. I just seem to be having some difficulty with the bulk of this quilt. I've not even got a large quilt - it's only about 40"x50". I guess I'm just used to sewing much smaller things.

My question is, how do you deal with flinging the quilt around trying to sew it? Mine keeps trying to fall off the table. I'm nervous about messing it up because of it pulling itself off the table. I rested it in my lap but then I practically got buried in the material. Thanks!
    Old 03-08-2013, 09:53 AM

I roll mine up. The side that goes into the harp of the machine is rolled. I tried using bicycle clips to keep it rolled - some roll both sides and keep a flat center area of about 9 - 12 inches - but the clips didn't work for me. So I just roll the one side. I have only made one very large quilt and I hand quilted it. I have used a lowered ironing board to catch the quilt on the other side of the sewing machine but it was more problem for me than help. My sewing machines that I use to quilt both have sewing tables so there is enough shelf behind the machine it seems enough to hold the quilt.

What is your sewing machine sitting on?
    Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 AM
    Power Poster

​You want the quilt supported on all sides so most of us put every flat surface we can find into play. Some use extra card tables, ironing boards, file cabinets etc.
    Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 AM

it is a real pain in the bottom. i know. but the finished quiltnand the look on the persons face is soooo worth it.
    Old 03-08-2013, 10:04 AM

Are talking about flinging it around when you are sewing your pieced blocks together or are you talking about when you are trying to quilt it after it has been sandwiched? I'm not sure rolling it when you are sewing your pieced squares together would work too well although it might. But like the others said - regardless whether you are just sewing the pieced squares together or quilting the sandwiched quilt you should try and maybe use your ironing table next to where you sew to help keep the quilt more spread out.
    Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 AM

I puddle up the extra and lay it over my sewing table and an ironing board set up specifically for this purpose. You might also consider putting a fan under the sewing table to help with the being buried/hot feeling under the quilt.
    Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 AM

I bring my machine to the dining table and put chairs all around it leaving a little space between chair back and table. The overflow falls to the seats of the chairs. I roll the side that is under the harp of the machine. I do only SITD or crosshatching. I can only make a couple or three runs and then have to stop to rest my shoulders and neck.
    Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 AM

I'm a puddler, too. I tried rolling it up but found it to be too stiff for me. That said, try it both ways and see what works for you.
    Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 AM
    Power Poster

I find rolling it just makes it heavier. you need more table support if you can get it. and start quilting your quilt in the center and work to the side under the throat of your machine, then turn and do the other side under the throat. that helps a lot!
    Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM
    QM
    Power Poster

I scrunch it up. I presume that's what Julie R meant by "puddle". Over many years and lots of quilts, I have found that I do best if I work a bit, stop then shift it. My guild has a LA, but I am unable to use it, so I do the best I can. It is important to take plenty of breaks: just a shoulder roll or get up and move.