Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you do it? >
  • How do you do it?

• How do you do it?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
    Between work, housework, cooking, etc.... not to mention spending way too much time on this board... LOL. How do you all find the time?
    Well, I don't work (except for LA quilting for others), housework is a bit and a promise, cooking...do lots at one time and fill the freezer. The only one I have a problem with is spending too much time here!!!!

Susan
    Old 01-03-2011, 05:28 PM

Less housework and no weeding, weeds have a right to exist too!
    Old 01-03-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I don't work anymore. I quit as soon as the last child was out of college. But when I did work, one of my off days were not spent working at home. The kids did the housework as soon as they started wanting extra money and car privileges. Everyone did their own laundry and DH discovered when he was hungry he didn't have to wait for me to be hungry before he ate. I worked 10 hour days so no way was I going to give up doing what I enjoyed when I was home. I didn't see the kids or DH give up any of their time. Moms/wives always seem to put themselves last for doing anything for themselves. Why?
    exactly. i'm single now (as of the 28th) with a 13yo boy. i'm gonna be more selfish now. it's time i had a little time.
    Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 PM

You just have to get your priorities straight. If working outside the home is necessary, then you can't eliminate that. However, all that cooking, cleaning, laundry crap will be there when you are taking a break from sewing, so it should never be higher on the list. If the people who live with you get hungry, they know where the food is. If they need clean clothes, they know where the washer is. The detergent and softener has directions on it. If they don't like cobwebs hitting them in the face, they can duck or get the broom after them. Hey, it's their choice.
    Now, I am perfectly willing to eat whatever someone else cooks without complaining as long as they are willing to cook it without complaining. Seems fair to me. Smiles and hugs,
    Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Originally Posted by nance-ell
    I'm always amazed at the talent on this board. Not just the sewing, but the creativity! I see so much I want to try, but finding time is my first challenge... before even thinking about the challenge of creating something worthy to share with you folks! Between work, housework, cooking, etc.... not to mention spending way too much time on this board... LOL. How do you all find the time?
    I'm not half as quick as a lot of others here, I too am amazed at how many quilts some people produce.

Maybe there's one other factor we should take into account. What are the age groups that produce the most quilts? 18-25, 26-33, 34-42, etc. The over 60++ group has some issues that slow us down and the younger ones without little feet pattering around have lots more energy than some of us.
    Old 01-04-2011, 04:12 AM

Yes, those fifteen minutes here or there can add up or sometimes go longer. Having a place you can leave your project "as is" where you left off is great. Then when you get time you can dive in without having to get all the stuff out/put it away. Having something packed to take with you is great too as you can do some handwork while in waiting rooms or you have unexpected downtime.
    Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 AM

try a few different ways..if you have a project going..how about 15 min to 30 min at a time..maybe before you go to work..or maybe late evening..you will be surprised how much you get done..or try one day a week,pick what day works for you..dont clean or cook that day..and let everyone know no phone calls or interruptions..this is your day....make time ..it is for your overall being ..you will be a happier person..good luck
    Old 01-04-2011, 06:19 PM

you have to turn off the computer
    Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
    you have to turn off the computer
    ROTHFLMAOPIMP that is the hardest part of all!!!! Mine stays on 24/7 making it hard to ignore! :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 01-05-2011, 08:54 AM

Ohhhhhhh G'Ma Kay, Didn't you just hit the nail right on the head!!!