Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you feel when you finish a quilt? >
  • How do you feel when you finish a quilt?

• How do you feel when you finish a quilt?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:43 AM

I feel a sense of accomplishment whether it is a quilt for someone else specific or a charity quilt. I've made enough quilts to know there are mistakes and wishes that I did something different. So off the quilt goes to its next home.
    Old 06-01-2011, 06:00 AM

I don't think I've ever made a quilt I've been entirely satisfied with but I'm always happy to finish them. For one thing, there is a point, usually about three-quarters of the way through the process when I look at the quilt and say, "What was I thinking!" At that point, I just know it's going to be awful and yet, they invariably turn out okay once completed. I just finished quilting one last night. it has no binding yet, but it's going to be pretty cute--especially to the baby girl who is the intended recipient.
    Old 06-01-2011, 06:36 AM

I just stand there and stare at it. I work full time so finishing a quilt is a big accomplishment.
    Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 AM

Exhausted, lol Sorta exhiliareted(sp)
    Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 AM
    Power Poster

Mixed emotions but most of the time, especially if it's for a soldier, Project Linus, etc. glad to help someone. Working on a pp quilt and this one will be total relief when it's done. But the other quilts give me a good feeling and that's why I quilt even with their imperfections.
    Old 06-01-2011, 06:49 AM

I have finished some quilts that I have put so much time and effort in (crazy quilt) that when it is finally finished finished I almost feel like the day after Christmas...A little depressed that it is over...I like to hang them on my upstairs balcony and look at them for several days to appreciate the work...and then give them away and start another....sometimes quickly....sometimes it takes a day or so to get inspiration for the next one....My goal for this year is to start and finish one new quilt pattern a month. so far...so good. I think it is easy to keep doing the same one...but we need to grow and learn and do something different....A new pattern every month..I have enough patterns for years and years........LOL
    Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingb1
    Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    Sometimes I feel lonely after a quilt is done. I guess that is not the right word. But like a child has grown up and is leaving the house. I've spent months obsessing over color, scale, mood, seams, pressing, etc.

I always feel that way when I've finished a particulary good book too.

This is exactly the same way I feel. Almost feel let down that the "adventure" is over. I am excited to move on and start another one but need to almost let go of the one I just finished.
    That is exactly how I feel...the Adventure is over.....
    Old 06-01-2011, 07:01 AM

.... like doing the happy dance!!!!
    Old 06-01-2011, 07:07 AM

I feel differently now when I finish a quilt than the first several years.
    I used to focus on the errors - now I focus on skills learned or improved.
    I used to think about how much more there was to learn about quilting - now I think about having fun learning so much more about quilting.
    I used to wonder if I chose the right colors - now I pat myself on the back for letting myself PLAY with colors and combinations.
    I used to fret about the evenness of stitching as I affixed the binding on by hand - now I think about the love I feel for the recipient.
    Old 06-01-2011, 07:10 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    Originally Posted by quiltingb1
    Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    Sometimes I feel lonely after a quilt is done. I guess that is not the right word. But like a child has grown up and is leaving the house. I've spent months obsessing over color, scale, mood, seams, pressing, etc.

I always feel that way when I've finished a particulary good book too.

This is exactly the same way I feel. Almost feel let down that the "adventure" is over. I am excited to move on and start another one but need to almost let go of the one I just finished.
    That is exactly how I feel...the Adventure is over.....
    I feel this too. I don't understand this 'got to get it done' mentality, like it's some kind of factory production line. This is supposed to be a hobby isn't it? Ergo, enjoyable??? I know many of us are now working commercially too and sometimes deadlines looming can create pressure to finish, or commissions that we've taken on and are finding less than inspiring - but otherwise, if you're doing this purely for fun and relaxation and you don't enjoy the PROCESS (which is the POINT surely!!!) buy factory produced quilts and find another hobby. :-D