Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering? >
  • How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering?

• How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:33 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    I use the Sharon Schamber method of hand basting. I haven't had any problems since I started using this method. Plus, I don't have to get down on the floor and crawl around taping or pinning.
    You may find this method easier since you can do this at table level. Here is a link to her tutorial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
    Wow, that is such a neat video. I never thought of using couple slim boards to hold the 'sandwich'. I forgot all about the tailor basting and I have used this in making coats. Learn something new everyday!!! Thank-you for the tip.
    Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 AM

i have always used the tape method with no problems ,after watching the video i might try Sharons way
    Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM

I have never stretched or taped or sprayed any backing batting or top. This is what I do and have never had a problem with puckers or wrinkles if the top is flat to begin with. First of all I love starch. and I start with the fabric before it's even cut for piecing... after the top has been pieced I will spray and press the back of the top so that all the seams are flat and all the threads snipped. I lay out the quilt right side up and fold it in layers from the top to the center and from the bottom to the center..set aside. If the backing needs to be pieced I repeat the above process. I press the batting and then let it relax. I clear my dining room table which has the protective pads..I place the cutting mats print side down then I will then lay out the backing on the table keeping the excess on 3 chairs on the opposite side..I will then repeat the same for the batting. I will then smooth it out folding both layers (about 18") until I reach the middle of the piece. remove the chairs. By this time the remainder of the piece will lay/hang nicely. Now take the set aside top and lay it on the batting center to center...open the quilt first from one side then the other using your iron set to steam press the quilt lightly,smoothing out any areas...Do not press to distort the fabric..what you are actually doing is marrying the 3 layers together. I will pin as I go. Just make sure you use a sufficient anount of pins. I find that stretching tautly just makes the fabric go back to where is was before you started. Anne
    Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 AM

Red face tutorial

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    Google Sharon Schamber's tutorial on basting a quilt. All you need is 2 boards and you can sit down to baste. It's the greatest technique and the only one I use to baste. (I do pin baste instead of thread basting).
    Thank you for posting this again! I saved this tut on my computer. I too have a small craft room to work in and this is the best idea I have ever seen! I will be using this idea from now on. I wonder why everyone doesn't use this idea it is great! Thank you again. Kat
    Old 11-06-2011, 11:19 AM

well this might sound crazy to some people. But I brought some 5 pounds weights, like the little hand held ones that you exercise with. I use these when placing my layers in the floor. They are heavy enough to keep it still while I baste.
    Old 11-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Default Basting thewith Sharon Schamber method

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    Google Sharon Schamber's tutorial on basting a quilt. All you need is 2 boards and you can sit down to baste. It's the greatest technique and the only one I use to baste. (I do pin baste instead of thread basting).
    I was so thankful to be reminded of Sharon Schamber's method. I had used this method two years ago when it was presented at a meeting... then had forgotten about it. Works so nicely for bed runners that I have been making for gifts. I sometimes hand baste and if in a hurry I pin

Judy in Phx
    Old 11-06-2011, 11:40 AM

wow, I just watched the video menttioned by andrianlee, that does seem to be less stressful that what I have been doing, I am definately gonna give that a try on my next quilt. I am always learning new things on this site.
    Old 11-06-2011, 12:46 PM

I use this method to baste my quilts. I use two ironing boards the same height and two thin plywood boards about 3 by 6 feet. I cover the boards with checkered fleece backed picnic cloths and the checks help me to keep the fabric straight. I lay the boards side by side on the ironing boards and put the backing down first and smooth it out and secure with clips from Office Supply. Then, I layer the batting and secure that with clips all around the edges. Finally, I put the top on and again secure it with clips. I can reach all sides to baste and I don't have any trouble with puckers. I usually use a domestic sewing machine to quilt and I have good results. Hope this helps. My knees and back are grateful for the tables.
    Old 11-06-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by KimS
    I don't think the tape will stick to carpet but that's a great idea. The livingroom is the only place where I have enough floor space. Oh to have a HUGE room for just quilting.
    Kim, One thing that I did is go to my local quilt shop and use their tables to pin my sandwich. Most quilt shops will let you do this. You do need to check ahead and make sure they are not teaching a class and ask them what the best time is for you to come in. My LQS even let me use their clips until I bought my own. :-) Ellen
    Old 11-06-2011, 03:27 PM

I like the Schamber's video, but I can visualize how this works with large quilts. How long and strong would the boards be? 100 + inches which would also call for a superwide table. What am I not getting here?