Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering? >
  • How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering?

• How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Default How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering?

I fight, fight and fight some more with this!! I lay the backing layer down and smooth out as best I can. It just doesn't lay absolutely flat no matter how hard I try. The batting I can keep flat and the top is flat. It's that backing that makes me cuss up a storm!! I smooth out one wrinkle only to make 3 more!! Then, of course, when I start quilting I have little puckers in a few places. I'm not fortunate enough to have wall space to hang the pieces while basting so have to use the floor. Does anyone have tips or tricks they'd like to share for this problem?
    Old 11-04-2011, 11:59 AM

I'd like to know this as well. I'm getting better, but still find little puckers!
    Old 11-04-2011, 12:00 PM
    Power Poster

I tape the backing down taut (but not over stretched) with blue painter's tape. Then I smooth the batting on top and smooth the (well-pressed) top down. I usually work in quarter sections to make the smothering easier.

I also plan my quilting design before placing the pins. Pins are generally hand-width apart using warm and natural batting. The tape can come of once I start pinning the sandwich.
    Old 11-04-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I tape the backing down taut (but not over stretched) with blue painter's tape. Then I smooth the batting on top and smooth the (well-pressed) top down. I usually work in quarter sections to make the smothering easier.

I also plan my quilting design before placing the pins. Pins are generally hand-width apart using warm and natural batting. The tape can come of once I start pinning the sandwich.
    I don't think the tape will stick to carpet but that's a great idea. The livingroom is the only place where I have enough floor space. Oh to have a HUGE room for just quilting.
    Old 11-04-2011, 12:13 PM

If I am working on the floor I tape with masking or painters tape....be careful it is not too tight because when you take it up it will scrunch up...I start from center and work out....
    Old 11-04-2011, 12:21 PM

I have problems with this also. I've pinned to the carpet and it looked fine until I picked it up to machine quilt. Then the puckers really started. I will try taping to the tile floor in the kitchen next time but I'm seriously considering envelope style and tying next time.
    Old 11-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Google Sharon Schamber's tutorial on basting a quilt. All you need is 2 boards and you can sit down to baste. It's the greatest technique and the only one I use to baste. (I do pin baste instead of thread basting).
    Old 11-04-2011, 12:25 PM

I use the Sharon Schamber method of hand basting. I haven't had any problems since I started using this method. Plus, I don't have to get down on the floor and crawl around taping or pinning.
    You may find this method easier since you can do this at table level. Here is a link to her tutorial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
    Old 11-04-2011, 12:26 PM

This is why I hand quilt! I have had to use the carpeted family room floor & never could get a nice smooth backing. We just tiled our master bathroom & it may be large enough to try with my next quilt. I have evn thought of buying a ping pong table just for this purpose.
    Old 11-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Carpet just isn't the best place to sandwich a quilt, the nature of the beast means that you won't get it to lay perfectly flat and STAY perfectly flat.

My last quilt (which was admittedly only a lap size) I did using the Sharon Schamber method of using two boards to wrap the bottom and top in. It was PERFECT and easy. This method is shown in her video for basting a quilt (which is my preferred method of sandwiching, and I use water soluble thread to baste), but you could probably use the same method for spray basting or pinning. I would still however recommend a flat smooth surface to do it on.

Using her method though, you don't need space for the whole quilt - just the width of the quilt and a little extra. A long kitchen counter top, dining table, or even tile/wood floor would work.