Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you make OBW quilts with multiple sizes of blocks like this one? >
  • How do you make OBW quilts with multiple sizes of blocks like this one?

• How do you make OBW quilts with multiple sizes of blocks like this one?

Old 01-01-2015, 05:58 AM

The quilt is WOW, but you can't beat the name of it either..."Ode to Spode".
    Old 01-01-2015, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria
    Darn, I don't have enough for 8 repeats of what I have purchased.
    Question: When purchasing fabric with a big print it has repeats down the length of the fabric. Isn't this repeat "repeated" on the other half of the fabric also. I mean if there is a large flower at the edge of the fabric, there is another one in that same line, farther over into the fabric. Is that understandable? Has anyone purchased 4 repeats, cut in half down the center and found the same pattern on both sides?
    The fabric I have has already been cut up on one half, so I can't see how it relates to the other half.
    Old 01-01-2015, 09:17 AM

I just measured my repeat (I already knew that it was 24 inches lengthwise) and found it is 24 by 30 inches. So, I can't use the other half as additional repeats. I made this one and found the repeat was only around 14 by 18 inches or something similar so I did have to cut many different sets of repeats. That is good because it gives more variety but it also means you have to go through the sweat of getting your 6 fabrics perfectly aligned with pins.
    Attached Thumbnails obw-oasis-cream-finished-top.jpg   obw-oasis-cream-closeup-middle.jpg  
    Old 01-01-2015, 09:31 AM

First and foremost, Happy New Year everyone. All the good, important things for you this year.

I see squares when I blow the quilt picture up. And when I do the math I come up with various combinations of 6, 9, and 12 that make the same sized block (9+12=21, 6x2+9=21, 6x2=12, 12x1=12, 12x2-24, 6x4=24, 9x2+6=24, and so on, not to mention 6x1=6 and 9x1=9). Then I think I see corner triangles used to "square off" the various straight sided blocks. I think the secret is to decide what final size block is good for a quilt like this and then figure out how many different combinations of 6, 9, and 12 are possible (or pleasing) and start building blocks or blocks that are combinations of other blocks.

Oh i hope this reply is even just a little bit clear. This is a conversation that I would usually have with assorted cut out squares and a lot of show and tell or pencil and paper and show and tell. Words for concepts like this most often are beyond my capabilities.

Pat
    Old 01-01-2015, 10:04 AM

Pat, I completely understand what you are saying and figured out the same after looking more closely myself. The corners of the octogon shapes are the interesting part as they too are kaleidoscope in design. Very pretty.