Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you make a QUILT SLEEVE??? >
  • How do you make a QUILT SLEEVE???

• How do you make a QUILT SLEEVE???

Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Good Evening Every1 (again),

I almost have my Rail Fence quilt done. I am hand stitching the binding on. (I would prefer to do it by machine, but was told that it does not always look go.) I would like to hang my FIRST quilt up on the wall, but I have absolutely NO IDEA how to make a quilt sleeve. Please Help Me...Any help would be appreciated very much. Thank you in advance for your help.

:-D :-D :-D :-D Have a blessed day. :-D :-D :-D :-D

:thumbup: :thumbup: ;-) debra ;-) :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 PM

I just finished putting a sleeve on a quilt and used these instructions: http://www.bluemoonriver.com/QuiltSleeve.pdf
    Old 06-09-2011, 06:56 PM

This is how I do it.
    A quilt sleeve is generally 4" tall by the width of the quilt, minus an inch or two. So, if your quilt is 60" wide, you will want the sleeve to be about 58" long. Cut your sleeve fabric 8.5" tall by 59" long. Turn under the short ends 1/4" twice and stitch, so you have no raw edges. Fold the WRONG sides together, lay on top of the back side of your quilt, aligning the raw edges, and stitch 1/4" from the edge. (This will only work if you have NOT attached your binding yet. If you've already attached your binding, you'll have to sew both the top and bottom of the sleeve on by hand.) Then hand-stitch the bottom of the sleeve onto the quilt, being careful to only sew through the backing and batting, and not through to the top of the quilt. You will want to leave a little bit of space for a dowel or whatever you use to hang the quilt with, so don't sew the bottom of the sleeve flat - scoot it up about an inch or so towards the top of the quilt.

I'm sure if you google "how to make a quilt sleeve" you will probably find illustrated instructions or a video on YouTube. That would probably help a lot.
    Old 06-09-2011, 06:59 PM

Thanks JudyG for the link. I have never put a sleeve on either so this is very helpful. Thanks again.
    Old 06-09-2011, 07:17 PM
    Banned

The American Quilters Society has instructions on their web site for making a sleeve
    Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 PM

I can't seem to open the link? It keeps saying its damaged?

Originally Posted by JudyG
    I just finished putting a sleeve on a quilt and used these instructions: http://www.bluemoonriver.com/QuiltSleeve.pdf
    Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by dltaylor
    I can't seem to open the link? It keeps saying its damaged?

Originally Posted by JudyG
    I got it to work fine. Do you have a pdf reader? You might have a corrupted file somewhere that is messing up the download.
    Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 AM
    Power Poster

the sleeve goes on BEFORE THE BINDING--so, stop- if you are stitching the binding- you need to get that sleeve attached to the top of the quilt- enclosed in the binding.
    Old 06-10-2011, 01:42 AM

I had previously posted a thread to ask for help hanging quilts and find this thread very useful. Tried this method on one of my quilts and it's excellent! Much better than sewing a sleeve on.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-6434-1.htm
    Old 06-10-2011, 03:46 AM

OK, I am ready for the comments and criticism, but I have found the Best way for me to make a quilt sleeve...even a temporary one that can be removed and the quilt sent to someone to use.

I buy flat sheets for the many charity quilts I make. When I find Queen and King size sheets, I buy them and cut the wide top hem off to make the perfect hanging sleeves. I have used them for the quilts I hang over my glass doors in the winter. I also have one quilt on the wall in my hallway...with high ceilings! I do apply them with the sewing machine, using a long basting stitch. Making a special pocket takes time, so this is quick and easy!

These hems could be used as temporary sleeves for quilts at a show...then removed easily after the show is over. Saving time and effort is my way of doing things these days.

June in Cincinnati