Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How Do You Make Your Own Extension Table? >
  • How Do You Make Your Own Extension Table?

• How Do You Make Your Own Extension Table?

Old 09-02-2017, 03:20 AM

Also, keep an eye on your local craigslist. I, too, have an extremely small space in which to work. I currently have a cheapy little pressboard table w/drawers on the right side that I've been using as my sewing table for the last 25+ years. I've recently developed an interest in machine quilting and have read of the need/desire to have a flat surface for this purpose. (I'm a hand quilter but just need to get some projects done!). DH and I are headed out this AM to pick up a sewing desk w/electric lift and drawers on the right side. It's $25! Seller not sure if the lift works but figure DH can fix whatever might be broken with that if needed. For $25 it's worth the couple of hours travel (to/from) and gas for a table with a lift! I'm so exited!
    Old 09-02-2017, 07:00 AM

Check out u-tube. There is one where you get the thick [I think 2 in] foam insulation and cut it to fit around the machine. Cover with plastic and that is it.
    Old 09-02-2017, 07:02 AM

Sorry, I didn't see Prism99's post. That is the one I was thinking of.
    Old 09-03-2017, 06:42 AM

Would this one fit?
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/5157095...f=sr_gallery_1
    Old 09-03-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Marguerita McManus posted a series of Youtube videos on how to build a sewing machine surround out of styrofoam. My dh did this for me using a sheet of styrofoam insulation from the hardware store, covered with cheap vinyl from Walmart. The only thing is that styrofoam is messy to cut. However, the surround works very well for me. Quilting while standing up is much easier on my body, so I move my sewing machine to my cutting table and position the styrofoam around it. The surround is lightweight, so easy for me to handle. When not in use, I store it upright between the wall and my sewing machine cabinet. I don't remember how much the styrofoam cost, but I know it wasn't very much. It cost a lot less than buying a custom surround, plus it is much bigger.

Here are links to the Youtube videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25v3ZTk0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lk7UBQgZY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwrA...F28BF9&index=6

Just wanted to say that I've done this as well, and was what I would suggest. Prism is so fast! I wasn't able to find 2 inch thick foam, but got the 1 inch thick stuff and it worked out pretty well. I secured the vinyl around the edges of my foam and wrapped it around to the bottom so all the cut edges are covered. I used packing tape. It's been at least 3 years now and it's still going strong! Love it.
    Old 09-03-2017, 09:36 AM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

Confession time, when I quilting a large quilt I just surround my Janome's acrylic table with Artbin project boxes. They're almost the same height as the table and do a pretty good job at keeping any "drag" from happening. Now granted my acrylic table is good size to start with but the edges can really be a problem when FMQ. Sadly, my machine cannot be dropped into the counter top. Hubby would build me a foam surround but where to store it when I'm not using it was the problem.
    Old 09-03-2017, 10:05 AM

In an act of ultimate laziness, I leave mine on the table all the time. I love piecing with it on, and I haven't had a problem with stacking some things on it too. Nothing super crazy heavy, but I have some boxes of projects and piles of paper/magazines on it and nothing bad has happened yet. I have a separate table for cutting, but I've cut on my smaller mat on top of the foam topper and it has been sturdy enough for that too.