Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you make yourself get a project done? >
  • How do you make yourself get a project done?

• How do you make yourself get a project done?

Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 PM

i probably am not using this site in the same way as most of you. i just don't understand how this site can take that much time. i look at the subjects, and only read what catches my eye. only comment sometimes. then i'm done. now when i am sewing a quilt, or quilting, that is when i get lost in time. i do have a few ufo's, but i'm obviously not in a hurry, that is why they are not done. doesn't bother me at all. i figure i'll work on it when the time is right. otherwise, i work on a quilt until it is done.
    Old 04-29-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by LindaBN
    Deadlines are very helpful, but not all projects have them. I'm stuck on a project now. Got all 35 blocks made for a QoV quilt, went to square up the blocks and some are too small! It's been sitting for a month as I am so bummed. I guess I'll need to rip out some squares or make new ones. I was being extra careful to cut and sew accurately. More practice is needed I guess.
    I'll need to make myself a deadline! Maybe July 4th!
    I have fractured flowers wall hanging waiting to be finished. While I was working on it I found I really didn't like my choice of fabric. I decided to put it away for a time so I could look at it with new eyes. I'm still waiting. :wink: Maybe I'll look at it tomorrow.
    Old 04-29-2011, 04:15 AM

I work on one project at a time. And finish this project before starting on another. I sew early in the day before I get too tired to sew. I only sew Monday through Friday and have no problem going to my sewing room to work on my quilt top.
    My sewing room is organized so clutter doesn't get in my way.
    Old 04-29-2011, 04:16 AM

We all have our own motivations. For me, having a deadline is the most helpful. Since most of my quilts are gifts, the deadline is easy. When working under the deadline, having a small goal each day, even if it is sewing 10 minutes, helps to get the job done while working with all the other goals and deadlines of my life. The ones I have trouble with are the ones I have planned for myself.
    Old 04-29-2011, 04:55 AM

I set goals for myself. Also I try to set a deadline. I currently have a QAYG project I started for my DDIL right after the first of the year. I am not that far from being done but am not happy with it, and set it aside. I just can't seem to get excited in resuming it. But since my long arm is at the repair shop I am going to try to get back to finishing the QAYG. I need to give myself a deadline for it, like early June before my DDIL goes to the beach, so she can take it with her. Also I try to not have too many UFO's at a time. I have some new ideas so that gets me excited.
    Old 04-29-2011, 05:08 AM
    Power Poster

I don't like deadlines. I make to many mistakes if I have deadlines. I am happy if I sew a lot in one day or very little as long as I am going forward.
    Old 04-29-2011, 05:09 AM

Of course a deadline gets me hopping. Also a reason to finish a quilt - like to give it to a certain person or to add to the pile for a special camp nearby or just to get it off the pile of UFOs. Usually a UFO gets into my mind and I have to complete it to get it out of my head. There's one in my mind right now and, urrrr, I'll be away this weekend. That one it set for Monday!!!
    Old 04-29-2011, 05:11 AM

Make a specific time each day/week where you stop doing anything else.
    Old 04-29-2011, 05:14 AM
    Power Poster

Some things that help-

I am a compulsive quilter
    Regular times to sew
    A set up area
    Death lines for projects, like birthdays, baby shower
    A sewing night
    Sewing buddies

The greatest problem I have are projects for myself, getting the quilting done,
    and projects without deathlines,
    very large quilts
    Old 04-29-2011, 05:30 AM
    j

For Linda, I would like was said, add strips, if it were going for a contest, you would have to do it over. This way fix it and whoever gets it will still love it and you solved your problem. Good Luck - J