Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you make yourself get a project done? >
  • How do you make yourself get a project done?

• How do you make yourself get a project done?

Old 04-29-2011, 05:44 AM

Deadlines certainly help. If there isn't one, then it's a bit more difficult. I seem to get the top pieced and then it sits for a month while I figure out what designs I'll use to fmq it. In the meantime, more projects to do, start to appear and I hunt thru my stash and then go buy more fabric for the next project. I usually have 2 - 3 going at the same time.
    Old 04-29-2011, 05:58 AM

i hear ya!!!
    recently i have begun to think that this place is BAD for my quilting fabric.. it's still sitting there... so many wonderful people, fabulous quilts and information.... add that to the fact that i'm a "babbeler" and always have to get in my 2cents worth... it's an addiction....(see photos.. i'm a slob when working,,, but can find it all and will mange to get it picked up at least 3 times a year ) today is like the rest... up early... get on the computer, check mail... then because QB sends.. watches.. i'm off and stuck... enjoying... hummmmmmmjust answered my own problem... "uncheck the watch" thingy.... LOL
    Anywhoooooo i'm working on a quilt project for a special girl here and today i'm gonna get in there and get to it... DEADLINES..or commitments..... that's what usually gets me going!!!!
    Good to know i'm not alone... i've met some wonderful and caring people here... have a good one...barbara
    Originally Posted by Grambi
    I don't know the answer, but I do know that discovering this site a few weeks ago has made the situation worse! I want to read every topic and then usually want to read everything that everyone had to say on the topic. It's crazy but I love this site!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-190599.jpe   attachment-190600.jpe  
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:01 AM

I use my sewing as an excuse to listen to books. I have always been an avid reader, but if I listen to a book, I can do something else (such as sewing) at the same time! 2 things I love doing at the same time! It doesn't get any better!
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:01 AM

I set my sewing times. I do all my PC stuff: emails, Facebook, this board, bill paying, etc. in the early morning hours, 7-9 or if the board is really chatty, 10. From ten to one I make my quilts or work on them putting them together. From one to four, I hand quilt.
    Of course there are days that I can't drag myself away from the computer, usually on Wed. I call that my mid week off day!
    I do not sew on the weekends. That is DH's time and he's kind of stingy with it! LOL!
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:19 AM

I never have this problem. My problem is that I never have enough time to do the sewing and quilting I want to do. I work full time and when I come home at night I am exhausted. I do have my current project laid out on my table so if I do find a few minutes here or there I can go out to my sewing room and sew a little.
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:28 AM

I never have this problem. My problem is that I never have enough time to do the sewing and quilting I want to do. I work full time and when I come home at night I am exhausted. I do have my current project laid out on my table so if I do find a few minutes here or there I can go out to my sewing room and sew a little.
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:56 AM

I'm doing embroidery on a double wedding ring quilt for my granddaughters June 11 wedding I have been working on this quilt for over a year and I'm soooo sick of it, I dont even like it anymore. But I'm sticking with it and I will have it done by her wedding, also have to finish the pillow shams that I made to go with the quilt. I do have to take a lot of breaks.
    Old 04-29-2011, 07:16 AM

I take it an hour or half-hour at a time. But I MUST do three sewing things a day. I make myself do this. But today I watched "THE WEDDING". I was interested in the style of the dress so that counts as sewing time!
    Old 04-29-2011, 07:17 AM

Welcome from Scotland!
    I also find that I cannot motivate myself sometimes.
    I just have to remind myself that finished items are better than piles of material everywhere.
    Good Luck!
    Old 04-29-2011, 07:17 AM

I only do one project at a time. I don't set a deadline but $$ and space to work are my limitations to doing multiple projects. I work at least an hour each night, taking a couple of evenings per week off. After I put my quilting away, I spend an hour or more on this site. It is so relaxing to read the posts and relfect on the beautiful creations that you all share. I've learned so much from readiing your posts. thanks