Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you organize old magazines >
  • How do you organize old magazines

• How do you organize old magazines

Old 01-13-2019, 04:22 AM

Thhis thread is for me!!!! I am in the process of getting rid of magazines-twenty years of them. I haven't looked at then in years, I am not going to look at them. I am going to offer them thru my guild. If there are no takers I will take them to Goodwill or ARC. I know someone else can enjoy them so I need to part with them. I have the same problem with boxes of books that I have read and will never read again. Collection of fabric-that is a whole different issue.
    Old 01-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Last January I went through most of my magazines, put "keepers" in sheet protectors, then in binders. I kept some magazines whole - ones which were favorites, unfortunately no longer published. I haven't organized within the binders - perhaps this year? But I did notice that some magazines published essentially the same pattern with different fabrics, which has made me even more wary of buying new issues unless there's something I REALLY want.
    Old 01-13-2019, 01:10 PM

You're supposed to organize magazines too?
    Old 01-14-2019, 05:48 AM

So many of us save patterns from magazines or a pattern that has been downloaded and printed out for future use. Of course put them in the plastic sleeves and save in a 3 ring binder...but label the edge of the binder with a Avery label letting you know things such as children's quilts, bed quilts, table runners, Christmas items etc. Having pattern separated into their own space helps to find what I need faster I currently have 11 different binders and need another one for the items I've printed out and are sitting on my desk.
    Old 01-14-2019, 05:57 AM

I just went through all my quilting magazines to create more room. The ones that do not have any patterns I wish to keep I will put in the free bin at our local library. The ones I like I make a tab with a small sticky note and say what it is for example batik, scrappy etc. I have some plastic magazine holders that I picked up at a garage sale in which to store the ones I am keeping. I hope this helps.
    Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 AM

Oh dear - I couldn't possibly remove single patterns from my magazines. What if there's a pattern/color combo I don't like today but might like next year? I've noticed when looking through my old magazines at the quilts I've flagged, those quilts don't entice me any more but others might. If only my tastes would remain static!
    Old 01-14-2019, 12:13 PM

I tear the parts I need to keep and recycle the rest. i sort the patterns by name of the pattern in folders and keep tips and instructions for new ways to do things in a folder.
    Old 01-14-2019, 02:34 PM

I did exactly what you said - sheet protectors in binders. Before that I had many whole magazines in binders with the slotted adapters for that purpose. They were heavy and there was no good way to find anything specific, so they were just stashed and ignored, taking up a lot of space. Now they are organized according to various categories, such as baby quilts, applique quilts, or variations of specific traditional designs. It takes up much less space and is more useful. I made sure that every pattern I kept was complete and had the name of the magazine and the date on it. I did not save every pattern, but only the ones I thought I might possibly use. It's amazing how much repetition there is over several years of different magazines, and it's also amazing how creative people can be with some old standard blocks.

The binders I use have clear windows on the front and back, and I used those for a few of the most representative patterns in each binder so that I can tell at a glance what I'm likely to find in them. One binder is just for tips and tricks or history articles that I happened to like.
    Old 01-14-2019, 02:43 PM

I quit taking magazines in 1996..their articles and ideas were getting tired even back then. At one point I took fifteen subscriptions.
    I packed up the Quilters Newsletters and shipped them to Roswithia in Austria. You could still afford postage to do that sort of thing back then.

all the rest I put into paper sacks and into someone else's home. easy peasy
    Old 01-14-2019, 05:05 PM

I went through years worth of agazines a couple years ago and kept the patterns I thought I might make sometime. I was careful to keep any add’l pattern info from the pattern/template section. However I also kept any pages with quilting designs and go through and use some of them in DSM quilting. Paid for those too!