Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you put you sandwich together? >
  • How do you put you sandwich together?

• How do you put you sandwich together?

Old 04-28-2014, 03:51 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
    And then when the quilt is all finished you wash it and the glue comes completely out?

Elmer's Washable School Glue is not really a glue but a strong starch. It's safe. Kids do eat it, not recommended, but it happens. Of course it washes right out.
    Old 04-28-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Elmer's Washable School Glue is not really a glue but a strong starch. It's safe. Kids do eat it, not recommended, but it happens. Of course it washes right out.

Thank you!
    Old 04-29-2014, 03:29 AM

Maureen NJ, I have been basting my quilts like this for several quilts. I like to spray baste, but can't seem to get it to lay flat. I hand quilt, and both methods work, I just can't get seem to get the spray method smooth.
    Old 04-29-2014, 03:40 AM

At first I was doing all my sandwiching on the floor, then Santa brought dh a pool table, with a ping pong table that just lays on top...that ping pong table has been a life saver, lol...starting to have back trouble and it has really made a difference...i use tape and lay the backing down,smooth, tap... then my batting smoothing, then add the top..when all is smooth I just spray and do it section at a time. Have done lap to king quilts this way and no problems..
    Old 04-29-2014, 04:21 AM

Do you water down the glue? or use it straight out of the bottle. I presume you're talking about Elmers?
    I don't water the glue down. I use it straight from the bottle. When the bottle gets more empty and is harder to squeeze glue out I get a new bottle and then when there's room I tip the old bottle up in a funnel to drain into another bottle. That way there's no waste. I also store my bottles upside down with the lid closed thanks to a tip from someone on this board. That way the nozzle doesn't get plugged with dried glue and things flow easily all the time. I found if I watered my glue down it soaked into the batting too much and was messy.
    Old 04-29-2014, 05:43 AM

I have a banquet table that I put a large piece of plywood on so tthe area measures 4x8". I use 505 .spray basting and binder clips. I do not center the backing on the table but rather lay the backing so one edge is on the edge of the table making sure that there is enough batting and backing for the top. I the spray the backing, place the batting on it and smooth,then place the quilt top on I then fold down 1/2 the top , spray baste and smooth out. After that part of the top is sandwiched I then move it over so the other side is on the table. When I do the spray basting I flip the layers over, spray and the position. I usualy have to spray baste the batting although I really prefer the spray the quilt top.

The reason that I do not center the quilt on the table is that by putting it on the edge I only have to move it once.
    Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 AM
    Power Poster

A little hot water about a tablespoon will help the glue stream in thin line. I started out making tiny dots but that took too long and was boring. Now I hold the bottle up high and write words with the glue. It's fun to think the quilt has words basted right in. LOL
    Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 AM

I'm with you, I only pin my quilts! Almost ruined a quilt with spray baste. I also use banquet tables. Works beautifully. I use the banquet tables When I free motion quilt to keep the quilt level with the machine, so worth their cost.
    Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 AM
    Power Poster

I use to go down to my LQS and use their classroom when it was available. I am old fashion and pin baste. I just don't like the smell or the stuff that might collect on my sewing machine needle. I never had a good place to spray outside.
    Old 04-29-2014, 07:08 AM

And then when the quilt is all finished you wash it and the glue comes completely out?
    Yes. Normal wash and dry, then I hang my quilt from the balcony for 24 hours (just in case!)