Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you quilt with your embroidery machine? >
  • How do you quilt with your embroidery machine?

• How do you quilt with your embroidery machine?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:12 AM

I wanted to use the edge to edge also but my janome 350e only has a 5 x 7 for the largest hoop
    Old 04-28-2015, 04:37 AM
    shy

Also I have a continuous hoop for my machine..so u don't have to reboot all the time..mine is an older Viking machine..it is just the moving of the quilt..I haven't done any that way in years..u have me thinking about it again.thanks!..I just got my embroidery parts back out .after someone asked if she should buy a cheap older machine..this place does wake up our thoughts ..lol..
    Old 04-28-2015, 04:40 AM
    shy

Not reboot..rehoop...this kindle likes to put in words it thinks I mean..if I don't read it over..I don't always make sense..well I guess even when it doesn't change my wording..I don't..lol
    Old 04-28-2015, 05:03 AM

I got interested in machine embroidery when all that was available was a 4x4 hoop. People were getting inventive and doing whole jacket backs on these machines. I remember most of the articles, but now can't find them online.

What you do is split the design, mark it, and use your templates to set up the next batch of stitches. It is a lot of work, it can be done. The continuous hoops work this way. There are extra hoop templates that you can buy to help placement. If you only split once in a while, these are far cheaper than a new machine.

The last design I split was a Babylock circular design to make a clock. My Pfaff has a 12x12 hoop, but you need to turn the hoop over. I split design using Masterworks, sewed and marked half, turned hoop over and did other half. It turned out. Yes, it's extra work, and yes, I'm stubborn.

Here's one old page. I lived on this page with my 1475. It does have some hints on how they did it.
    http://www.cyberport.net/users/milnerwm/FAQ.html
    Old 04-28-2015, 05:57 AM

My Brother PE770 will only do a 5x7 design but I have a 5x12 hoop I just used to do a quilt. It worked great for doing the 12" strips. I just used a 6" design and rotated it 180 degrees for the second run. I didn't have to re-hoop to do the second run. This was a design that worked back to back.
    Old 04-28-2015, 06:04 AM

I have also purchased the "edge to edge quilting on your embroidery machine",I've done 3 lap size, don't know if I would try anything bigger. I love it! Just saw it listed in Annie's catalog
    Old 04-28-2015, 06:31 AM

Sep97, thanks for your response. I understand the want of quilting edge to edge. That's when an LA machine would be nice to have right? I keep thinking I want a Long Arm, but I've decided before I can feel justified in going that route I want to use what I have with my domestic machine. It's a wonderful machine with the embroidery feature and when I purchased it was promised how wonderful it would be for quilting. Have you used your embroidery feature to do any quilting? The 5x7 would handle small designs but would require a lot of hooping. It is a lot of work. Happy sewing to you.

Shy, I got a good laugh at the reboot remark. To begin with I thought I needed to be rebooting my machine and was relieved to find out I didn't have to. Thanks for my morning chuckle. Do you think it is worth the money to have a continuous hoop? Have you used it often? Do you use it for more than boarders? Thanks for your response and I agree with you, this place really does get us thinking!

Weezy Rider, I took a look at the site you posted and gleaned some information that might be of help to me. Thank you. In reading your reply I realized I needed to get more familiar with the software I own. I have Quiltworks 1 and 11 but I do not have Masterworks. Also my machine can edit some of the designs used. How have you hooped your quilt when quilting it? Have you used the designs as a quilting feature? Thank you for your response.

This is such a wonderful hobby we share. I appreciate the fact that we have so much available for us to use and learn. Thank you again for all of your replies.
    Old 04-28-2015, 06:37 AM

I don't think Quiltworks splits, but if you can find an older copy of Hoopworks, you can split designs. Quiltworks will digitize all your quilting designs and appliques.

I refuse to do a full size quilt per se. I do QAYG. I find it much easier on the nerves.

I've done raggy and ITH blocks on the machine. With the software I can pretty much get what I want.

I started FMQ as I wanted the same patterns on a ten inch block and didn't feel like digitizing.

If I do patterns on a raggy, I hoop the backing, spray baste the batting and top to the hooped backing, then have the machine do basting stitches around the hoop. That holds it pretty well. I make block a bit bigger so I can center if I'm off.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 04-28-2015 at 06:44 AM.
    Old 04-28-2015, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by sheilar
    I have also purchased the "edge to edge quilting on your embroidery machine",I've done 3 lap size, don't know if I would try anything bigger. I love it! Just saw it listed in Annie's catalog
    sheilar, I watched the video on the edge to edge quilting. It's good to hear your thoughts on this one. Did you find it easy to do? I usually do bed size quilts. So I'm a little hesitant in getting this, but it would certainly be less expensive than a long arm! Thanks for your reply.
    Old 04-28-2015, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider
    I don't think Quiltworks splits, but if you can find an older copy of Hoopworks, you can split designs. Quiltworks will digitize all your quilting designs and appliques.
    Thank you!