Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you quilt with your embroidery machine? >
  • How do you quilt with your embroidery machine?

• How do you quilt with your embroidery machine?

Old 04-28-2015, 07:12 AM

I also have the edge to edge quilting book and designs. I did a bed runner yesterday as my first project and it was very simple. I really loved her process. She does suggest, however, that you don't do larger than a twin size quilt.
    Old 04-28-2015, 11:45 AM

Thanks Judy, It's good to know what really works!
    Old 04-28-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
    I've only done a couple, but I did find that if I used a design that was the same from any direction, it helped because it was less noticeable if it was off a bit.
    I've done this same thing. Works better than others that are more intricate for me. But I am still just learning how to do this. Thank you.
    Old 04-28-2015, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1
    I've tried it but usually it's "off". Maybe I'll give it a try again using some of these suggestions.
    Me too, that's why I'm determined to make this work! I know there are those out there that do very well with this type of quilting.
    Old 04-28-2015, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
    My Brother PE770 will only do a 5x7 design but I have a 5x12 hoop I just used to do a quilt. It worked great for doing the 12" strips. I just used a 6" design and rotated it 180 degrees for the second run. I didn't have to re-hoop to do the second run. This was a design that worked back to back.
    Thanks for your info, it really helps me to see other ways of doing this.
    Old 04-28-2015, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by nabobw
    I do it all the time. I do not do quilt blocks but digitize outlines of a design. The sandwich quilt is thick enough and do not need stabilizer. It is hard t times to hoop and at times to line my design up I hoop it while the hoop is attached to the machine. That way I get it to line up.
    nabobw, I've found the outlines do work better for quilting. Do you actually hoop your quilt or do you clip it on with the large office clips? I can see it would line up better if it's still attached to the machine. I have so much to learn! Thanks for your reply.
    Old 04-28-2015, 04:34 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518260[/ATTACH]Japanese Fan (Judy Neimeyer) was 90% quilted using my embroidery machine. This quilt is 109" x 109" and took an awful lot of patience. [ATTACH=CONFIG]518262[/ATTACH] This is to show some of the detail. [ATTACH=CONFIG]518263[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Old 04-28-2015, 10:03 PM

Sheri.a, Absolutely gorgeous! Your quilt is a work of art! And I'm noticing a blue ribbon in the background! Was this a paper pieced quilt? I know a lot of Judy Neimeyer's patterns are paper pieced. A large quilt 109x109 would be a trial no matter what they were, but this one is beyond most expectations. Please tell how you made this lovely quilt, and did you hoop each design you quilted. I am so impressed. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Old 04-29-2015, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee
    Sheri.a, Absolutely gorgeous! Your quilt is a work of art! And I'm noticing a blue ribbon in the background! Was this a paper pieced quilt? I know a lot of Judy Neimeyer's patterns are paper pieced. A large quilt 109x109 would be a trial no matter what they were, but this one is beyond most expectations. Please tell how you made this lovely quilt, and did you hoop each design you quilted. I am so impressed. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Thank you for the compliment. Yes, this is paper pieced. Judy does a wonderful job in her pattern instruction. My Janome has a hoop (with magnets) for quilting that is 8.7" Sq. The blocks are 10" sq so I hooped each block three times to get the designs on it. I did not use any stabilizer.

I purchased 2 digital designs from Judy's website (the top and inner square on each fan), but then had to turn to EQ Stitch to create custom designs for around the star points, the blocks with no piecing, and the border.

there was a lot of trial and error..... Things I learned:
    - pay attention to the density and stitch length of the digital design to have a more even appearance
    - on the borders The amount of quilting was more towards the inside than outside so I ended up with wavy borders
    - I struggled with tension so I used a bobbin holder with low tension
    - the judge commented that I had too many thread stops on the back
    - I made a sampler quilt (6 blocks) to practice designs. It was cut down and bound to go under our TV - I couldn't throw away all of that work!
    - each hooping took around 20 minutes, so I had to stay focused to keep it from becoming a very expensive UFO.
    Old 04-29-2015, 01:48 AM

Rhonda, yes I use my janome 350 e all the time to do quilting but when I saw edge to edge I got excited, lol. I'll just have to do the rehooping